Author Topic: Burial 1915  (Read 1184 times)

Offline gwen j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Burial 1915
« on: Wednesday 16 May 18 20:40 BST (UK) »
My Gran, who was born in Bilston, married at the Church of the Oratory,Birmingham in 1913. She and her husband lived in Gravelly Hill, Birmingham and their son, John Walter Evans was born in Dec 1914. Sadly the baby died in Rhyl in 1915. I don't know what my gran was doing in Rhyl but her home address is shown as Gravelly Hill on the death cert. I'm now trying to find out where the baby is buried, I checked with local archives at Rhyl but they couldn't find him there. I've looked on Birmingham archives and can't see him there either.
Davies-Rhydlewis to Ebbw Vale
Wharton and Ford-Barnard Castle to London
Delany-Staffs.
Lascelles

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Burial 1915
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 22:51 BST (UK) »
Sadly the baby died in Rhyl in 1915.

You don't give any details of exactly when he died.  What was his actual date of death and what was his cause of death (I have a reason for asking which I will detail later)?

Is this his death reg

Deaths December qtr 1915
Evans    John W    1    St. Asaph    11b    410

I don't know what my gran was doing in Rhyl

Her maiden name was Pritchard and she married an Evans - was either she or her husband from Wales?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline gwen j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 May 18 06:04 BST (UK) »
Hi CaroleW, thank you for your reply. My Gran was Norah Lillian Delany and her husband was Gerard Sheriff Evans. There are two links with North Wales that I know of - Gran's grandmother was from Denbighshire originally but moved to Cheshire and then Staffordshire - Gran's sister Blanche, who was the baby's Godmother, married there in a few years after the baby's Death to a Welsh man from South Wales, a School teacher. The baby died from pneumonia . Thanks for your help , it is much appreciated.
Delany-Staffs.
Lascelles

Offline gwen j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 May 18 06:08 BST (UK) »
John Walter Evans was born 22 12 1913 in Birmingham and died 9 10 1915 in Rhyl.
Delany-Staffs.
Lascelles

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 May 18 12:11 BST (UK) »
Your opening post says he was born in December 1914 hence my thinking his mothers maiden name was Pritchard

The reason I asked about the cause if death is I wondered if he had a disability and his parents had taken him to St Winefrides in Holywell which is reputed to have healing powers and is a pilgrimage location
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline gwen j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 May 18 19:56 BST (UK) »
My late Mother, John Walters half sister, said that he had infantile paralysis which I thought was another name for Polio? I did manage to find out where he was baptised by ringing around Churches local to Gravelly Hill. Sadly, I've lost the name of the Church but do remember the lady I spoke to telling me that he was baptised two days after his birth.That seems quick to me. Maybe he was born with a problem and not expected to survive? Perhaps his Mother was looking for a cure?
Delany-Staffs.
Lascelles

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 May 18 22:27 BST (UK) »
My husband was born in Holywell but raised in Liverpool.  He still has relatives there.  Some years ago we paid a visit to St Winefrides and in the pool area there are lots of crutches on display - left by the people who bathed in the waters and declared themselves cured.

Given what you have said - it’s a possible explanation for them being in Wales.   If that is why they were there,   I would seriously hope the child did not contract pneumonia as a result of being placed in the waters at the church which would not have been heated.