Author Topic: Just a little frustrated.....  (Read 3541 times)

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
Re: Just a little frustrated.....
« Reply #18 on: Friday 01 June 18 00:15 BST (UK) »
Anglesey is the link then Gail.  My 2 X great grandmother was Margaret Ellis (1830-1915).  Her parents were John Hughes Ellis and Jane Jones.  She married Owen Williams in 1853 and they arrived in Victoria in 1857, settling in Bairnsdale.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 01 June 18 10:56 BST (UK) »
Nanna

My Williams from Anglesey were there approximately 1784 which is quite a time before yours. Not saying they are not related but difficult to prove.

Diplodicus

Yes I match with your cousin, slightly less than I match with you.

My ancestors were descendants of Laurence Rice and Catherine Branigan (born in the 1820s) and the next generation descendants of Mathew Haughey and Catherine Rice born in the 1840-1860’s). So probably a bit later than your ancestors. Sponsors at the children from both couples were: Crosby, Woods, McLaughlan, Rice, Pepper, O’Neil, Murphy, Haughey, Fernan and Roddy, none of which match with your family name so I suspect the link is probably quite a bit earlier. I have exhausted the paper trail for my family from Dundalk.

Gail
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 01 June 18 11:23 BST (UK) »
Gail I went on a wander through the trees on Ancestry and found one which goes a long way back with the Ellis family.  In the direct line there was a Mary Williams who married Ellis Ellis in the late 1600's early 1700's.  I don't have access to sources to prove or disprove this, but it does seem that way back there was money in the family.  They seemed to be around the Taicroesion, Llechylched, area.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 01 June 18 11:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nanna, I will take a look at some trees and see if I can find anything, that looks interesting
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 01 June 18 15:24 BST (UK) »
It seems a bit like everyone else, I've found DNA tests/results a little disappointing.

I've done 2 - 23&Me and Ancestry, and I uploaded my data to GEDMatch.

Whilst a lot of potential matches have popped up, not a single one has been in touch with me.

Of the ones I've been in touch with myself (and have replied - several haven't bothered even to do that), we've not been able to find any potential link - and the other parties don't seem to have been interested in doing further research themselves to find out where the connection might be.

In fact, I spent a long time following up a line for a contact, which he had done very little research on.  I was very hopeful to find a link somewhere, as locations and dates were very close to my own lineage - but no joy, or at least as far as I could get back.

So I fear no brick walls are falling down for me so far.

I have one person who has replied, and I think I have been able to work out which line we must be connected on by the fact that we have no shared matches.

This particular line is, of course, my most difficult one, with common names, reluctance to marry or register childrens' births, and East End of London locations.  There are no unusual occupations, or places of birth for me to cling to.  And even if I find a 'possible' for one of my ancestors, I have no way of proving it.

I think I will leave the DNA alone, and concentrate on digging away at my own tree (with help from always fantastically helpful Rootschatters). 

Who knows, perhaps someone will contact ME with helpful information.....

Apologies for depressing post.  I wasn't overly hopeful, but all these Ancestry DNA people who either have no tree, or have 5 people on a tree, or haven't attached a tree........

:(

Totally with you on this, I don't get why people have bothered doing the DNA if they don't even respond to messages or are interested in connecting a link. It's rather frustrating. I've sent lots of messages of to those with matches to find a link and only about 2 have responded.
Anderson & Marr - Midlothian & East Lothian
Bennett - Devonport
Catleugh & Shiells - East Lothian
Galvin, McLaren, Cullen & Dowling - Waterford, Ireland
Littlejohns - Plymouth & London
Mansfield - Benfleet & St Pancras
Michelin - London
Newlands - Midlothian & Fife
Paterson - Canongate, Midlothian
Rutherford and Johnston - Roxburghshire
Taylor - East Lothian & Berwickshire
Thomson - Leith & Muthill
Thorney, Hawkin, Lewis - Herefordshire
Small & Paulin - Northumberland
Varrall - Kent

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 01 June 18 17:24 BST (UK) »
Perhaps this might help you see a bigger picture???

My wife’s sister did an Ancestry test and I persuaded my wife to submit one too to help her sister’s research. She did.

She has no interest in genealogy and doesn’t have an Ancestry account. Her results aren’t linked to a tree.
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 01 June 18 23:11 BST (UK) »
Perhaps this might help you see a bigger picture???

My wife’s sister did an Ancestry test and I persuaded my wife to submit one too to help her sister’s research. She did.

She has no interest in genealogy and doesn’t have an Ancestry account. Her results aren’t linked to a tree.

Yes, I do understand there are many reasons for doing a DNA test, some of which are entirely unconnected with genealogy.

I am speaking about the members of Ancestry who have been members for some years, have logged in relatively recently, and have either very limited trees or no trees.
I have no problem if they've not done any research but out of courtesy it would be great to have a reply to my polite and encouraging message, offering interesting research (if I can identify where our link is).

I have, however, decided to get over myself and just carry on with my own research.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 02 June 18 00:08 BST (UK) »
Shevy, I think lots of people get DNA kits as presents, and only swab their mouths or spit in a bucket to keep the present giver happy. I also think there are some people who do the test and then think the whole thing is too complicated. There must also be people that think they've got something that they don't want out in the open. I also think there are people that specifically have something to hide. I also think that some people are just more interested than others.  If somebody gave me an FA Cup final ticket I probably wouldn't bother going.

Martin