Author Topic: 1939 register for scotland  (Read 17999 times)

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1939 register for scotland
« on: Thursday 17 May 18 21:45 BST (UK) »
Is there a way to look at the 1939 register for Scotland in the same way that you can see the England & Wales version on Find My Past.
From what I can gather you have to purchase each record individually.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 register for scotland
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 May 18 22:40 BST (UK) »
The register taken in Scotland in 1939 was called the "National Identity Register" it contains details of Name, address, marital status, age and occupation.

It is not available to view online. You are correct that each record has to be purchased individually at a cost of £15 plus 89p postage. Quite expensive unless you absolutely need the record.

Hope this helps.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 May 18 10:04 BST (UK) »
That is what I suspected & it is such a shame that we cannot get better access. I have checked some of my wife's relations on find my past & it was really helpful, but I don't really want to be paying out nearly £16 for a transcript from Scotland.

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
  • For many hours and days that pass ever soon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 November 18 14:57 GMT (UK) »
I know this is an old thread but hopefully someone can help me. I am wanting to order an extract from the 1939 Register for a relative who died in 1944. I know her name as spelled on her DC, but she also went by variant spellings over the years. Will they still be able to find her as long as the date of death is correct? And since she died in Scotland, I don't need to include proof of death, correct? Also, I am in the US so can I just include a US check for the equivalent in pounds sterling? I'd really rather not send all the CC info through the mails. And I need to include 3 pound .10p for return Air mail, correct? So a total of 18 pound 10 p? Sorry if I am saying these things wrong as I don't really know how to deal with UK currency being from the US! This is a lot of trouble to go through, but I have never found a BC or exact date for this relative so I am wanting to get that info from the Register. Thank you for any help!
Jaffray, Morrison - Monquhitter
Bird or Burd, Ironside - Methlick
Young - Aberdeen, Banffshire
Reid, Milne - Kincardineshire
Sanderson, Marshall, Marr - Foveran
Black, Ross - Rathven
Searle or Seale, Steel(e), Forbes, Adams- Aberdeen
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 November 18 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fogmoose,

Do you want the information from the 1939 Register which covered England etc or is it from the 1939 Scottish Identity Register?

If you can clarify that we may be able to help.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 November 18 17:51 GMT (UK) »
can I just include a US check for the equivalent in pounds sterling?
Their web site says, "We accept payment by Debit/Credit card, Sterling cheque and British postal order".

So the answer is no to a check in US$. The cost of clearing cheques in currencies other than sterling is high enough make it an uneconomic option for both you and the NRS.

I'm surprised that there isn't an option to pay online with a card.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 November 18 18:46 GMT (UK) »
I don't think you will be able to get an exact date of birth though.
"it is only possible to provide limited information on the named individual; namely their address in 1939, marital status, age and occupation."

flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
  • For many hours and days that pass ever soon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 November 18 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Ohh, that is so infuriatingly stupid! So all they give you is the age of the person, which they calculate from the exact date of birth? Why not just give you the date of birth? Especially since it's well before 1910, it's not like the person could still be living and you are going to steal their identity! How stupid...that and the fact that they expect you to send all your credit card info in the post, all someone needs to do is steal the letter and they can run up my credit card to the maximum! And yet they say right ON the form...."We don't recommend sending your credit card information in the mail!" Well how is someone outside the UK supposed to pay then? Who makes this stuff up?!

The hell with it!

Thanks for the info everyone. GG-Grandma's Birth date is destined to remain unknown, it seems.
Jaffray, Morrison - Monquhitter
Bird or Burd, Ironside - Methlick
Young - Aberdeen, Banffshire
Reid, Milne - Kincardineshire
Sanderson, Marshall, Marr - Foveran
Black, Ross - Rathven
Searle or Seale, Steel(e), Forbes, Adams- Aberdeen
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick