Author Topic: 1939 register for scotland  (Read 17998 times)

Offline MarkyP

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 register for scotland
« Reply #18 on: Monday 17 December 18 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Just to further this a little bit, this is from another forum

I have my Father's entry for the 1939 Scotland Register. I bought it some years ago when the Register first became available. I don't remember where I bought it from or how much it cost but I do remember being underwhelmed by what it contained:

Address
Name
Marital status
Occupation

So it does look like they provide a date of birth. In fact exactly what is on the England and Wales version.
Jerome - Hampshire (including IOW)
Parsons - Surrey, Somerset and Devon

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
  • For many hours and days that pass ever soon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 03:02 GMT (UK) »
Just to further this a little bit, this is from another forum

I have my Father's entry for the 1939 Scotland Register. I bought it some years ago when the Register first became available. I don't remember where I bought it from or how much it cost but I do remember being underwhelmed by what it contained:

Address
Name
Marital status
Occupation

So it does look like they provide a date of birth. In fact exactly what is on the England and Wales version.

Yes, I saw that post as well. But others on here have said that is NOT the case. I wish we could have some more confirmation. That poster may have been mistaken, as he said it was several years ago. Perhaps he is mis-remembering or they have changed the information they provide in the meantime.
Jaffray, Morrison - Monquhitter
Bird or Burd, Ironside - Methlick
Young - Aberdeen, Banffshire
Reid, Milne - Kincardineshire
Sanderson, Marshall, Marr - Foveran
Black, Ross - Rathven
Searle or Seale, Steel(e), Forbes, Adams- Aberdeen
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 08:24 GMT (UK) »
This discussion seems to be going round in circles.

See Reply No 7 in this thread https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=793650.msg6623877#msg6623877, which quotes directly from the National Records of Scotland's information leaflet https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//registration/leaflet-nr-2018.pdf
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MarkyP

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 08:42 GMT (UK) »
I did read the whole thread,  :) but thought I would include what was said on another forum about the d.o.b. I too want the d.o.b of someone but am not going to fork out £15 for the info if that is not included. However I have since come across this from Chris Paton in 2010 which includes a mocked up version of the register, which does include the d.o.b.

http://scottishancestry.blogspot.com/2010/01/1939-scottish-national-registration.html

Offline MarkyP

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 08:44 GMT (UK) »
I have contacted him to confirm that this is the case  :)

Offline MarkyP

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Have heard from Chris, the 1939 Scottish register does include the Date Of Birth!  :)

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Have heard from Chris, the 1939 Scottish register does include the Date Of Birth!  :)

Yes, but WHEN did Chris order his extract? In his OP he claims it was "several years" ago. I would tend to believe what is posted currently on the NRS website rather than something from years ago. They may very well have changed the policy, and until I see proof from someone who ordered RECENTLY, they are not getting my money.

EDIT: I seem to be confusing Chris with the post you quoted form another forum, but either way, both of them are quite old information. Until someone posts the Extract they received recently, I am holding off. Come on RootsChatters, someone must be able to help us! Happy Holidays All!
Black, Ross - Rathven
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Have heard from Chris, the 1939 Scottish register does include the Date Of Birth!
Having read all the information on the NRS web site, my understanding is that the register shows the DoB, but the information being made available includes the age.

The thing to do is to drop an e-mail to NRS to ask them whether the exact DoB is included in the information you get when you buy an extract from the Register.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Have heard from Chris, the 1939 Scottish register does include the Date Of Birth!
Having read all the information on the NRS web site, my understanding is that the register shows tha DoB, but the information being made available includes the age.

The thing to do is to drop an e-mail to NRS to ask them whether the exact DoB is included in the information you get when you buy an extract from the Register.
Yes, Agree that would be the best course of action barring anyone who recently ordered an extract chiming in to give us the current status.

EDIT: I sent an email to NRS. We will see what they say.

Received a reply, here it is:

Dear Rich,

Thank you for contacting Scotlandspeople.

Yes an extract from the 1939 Register does give the date of birth.

Kind Regards

Denise
Black, Ross - Rathven