Author Topic: 1939 register for scotland  (Read 17867 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 register for scotland
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 November 18 20:46 GMT (UK) »
I am with you there - monumentally stupid and exceedingly annoying.

Was great-great-grandma born before 1 January 1855?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 November 18 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fogmoose,
If you have the death cert. which should give you an approximate age & her parents names. You should be able to check on Scotland's people for a birth certificate unless it was before 1855.
Even so you could still be lucky with the Old Parish registers.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 November 18 20:53 GMT (UK) »
I agree it does seem exceedingly stupid and annoying for those who live outside the UK. From what I can gather the information is very limited anyway.

Have you tired posting your gg grandma's information here on rootschat and asking for help with finding her birth?

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 November 18 20:58 GMT (UK) »
It is even more annoying when you consider how good the 1939 register is in England.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 November 18 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Fogmoose, it actually says it does not recommend sending your card details by email, not mail.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
  • For many hours and days that pass ever soon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 November 18 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Fogmoose, it actually says it does not recommend sending your card details by email, not mail.
flst

Yes, I realized that when I re-read it just a bit earlier. Still a stupid way to do things, should just be able to order it online.

And in answer to others queries, yes she was born before Civil Registration and No, there is nothing in the OPR sadly. Found her 2 older brothers, but nothing for her.  I am pretty certain she was born in 1851 sometime after the census since she does not appear in the 1851 census with her mother and 2 brothers.
And yes, I have posted about her before and gotten LOTS of help from the RC folks!  Quite a good read for those interested! https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=764025.msg6157534#msg6157534
Jaffray, Morrison - Monquhitter
Bird or Burd, Ironside - Methlick
Young - Aberdeen, Banffshire
Reid, Milne - Kincardineshire
Sanderson, Marshall, Marr - Foveran
Black, Ross - Rathven
Searle or Seale, Steel(e), Forbes, Adams- Aberdeen
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 November 18 02:35 GMT (UK) »
...that and the fact that they expect you to send all your credit card info in the post, all someone needs to do is steal the letter and they can run up my credit card to the maximum!

That is the bank's problem, not yours. Read your Federal Laws regarding credit card fraud.

I usually do my overseas transactions by phone as it is cheaper than paying the fees on foreign currency cheques, and I have purchased documents from the NRS in this way.

Debra  :)

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
  • For many hours and days that pass ever soon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 November 18 02:42 GMT (UK) »
...that and the fact that they expect you to send all your credit card info in the post, all someone needs to do is steal the letter and they can run up my credit card to the maximum!

That is the bank's problem, not yours. Read your Federal Laws regarding credit card fraud.

I usually do my overseas transactions by phone as it is cheaper than paying the fees on foreign currency cheques, and I have purchased documents from the NRS in this way.

Debra  :)

I am well aware of the credit card fraud laws. And I believe that you cannot purchase 1939 Register extracts over the phone. And while it may indeed be mostly the banks problem, it certainly is still a problem for the card holder...one that could easily be avoided, it would seem, if someone at NRS used a bit of foresight.
Jaffray, Morrison - Monquhitter
Bird or Burd, Ironside - Methlick
Young - Aberdeen, Banffshire
Reid, Milne - Kincardineshire
Sanderson, Marshall, Marr - Foveran
Black, Ross - Rathven
Searle or Seale, Steel(e), Forbes, Adams- Aberdeen
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 November 18 10:09 GMT (UK) »
And yes, I have posted about her before and gotten LOTS of help from the RC folks!
Ah, yes, I remember reading that saga :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.