Author Topic: Benjamin Holliday born about 1797 in Frome Somerset  (Read 2870 times)

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Holliday born about 1797 in Frome Somerset
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 June 18 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael

This is a hell of a long shot but they sometimes pay off.

I have Holliday's on my tree but they are from Martley in Worcestershire & years ago I met up with the(thought to ne)last surviving member of that line in the village of Martley & she gave me a family tree that her father had compiled & his information was that they came from Badgeworth in Gloucestershire & I proved this correct by many weeks of research at Gloucester record office. I wonder if any of the Holliday's from Badgeworth migrated to Somerset to obtain work as Ive only researched the Holliday whose line leads to Worcestershire.
I hope you can make sense of my ramblings.

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline drmjgould

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 June 18 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil, sorry to take time to get back to you, tied up with other brickwalls! Could I ask you for some of the timeline to your Holliday's on your FT. I have noted there were quite a lot of Hollidays [& name variants] in Frome, Somerset & in Somerset more widely in 1750-1850. The problem is that there are a lot of missing BMD data, possibly partly due to Non-Conformist membership where they don't do infant baptism etc, & possibly missing registration files. Hopefully what data is there will find its way onto the main genealogy websites soon & be easier to find - hope, hope. Look forward to hearing from you. Best wishes, Michael

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 June 18 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael

my line of Holliday's in WOR is from about 1825 - about 2015 when Norah Holliday Holliday passed away - but the place my Holliday started (Badgeworth GLS) was in the late 1700s if my memory serves me correct - I will check on this & get back to you when I can as I'm at my local library & don't have any details with me & the memory aint what it use to be

All the very best

Phil

ps I know its clutching at straws expecting us to be researching the same line (or part of it) but you never know with this hobby do you
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 11:35 BST (UK) »
I don't know if you have seen this site:

http://www.fromeresearch.org.uk/

It does have a considerable amount of information on Frome families but the search link doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

It mentions another group, the Frome Hundred Group, to which you will need to subscribe.

This group has some members who have a considerable knowledge of families in this area.

I found this site:

http://www.fromefamilyhistorygroup.co.uk/links.htm

The Frome Museum can provide information on local families too.

I have ancestors from that area and have seen the name of Holliday/Halliday in some of the villages surrounding Frome.

Looking at the Family Trees on Ancestry for this person indicates that no one has succeeded in tracing his baptism, or parents.

Have you looked at the names of his children to see if that has any clues as to the names of his parents?

Jo.

Offline drmjgould

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 August 18 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Jo

Thank you for you post about Frome FH with suggestions. I apologise for not getting back to you before. I did contact Frome Family History Group about BH, & they kindly did some research for me, but to no avail. They did take quite a few weeks over this [due to issues beyond their control], hence why my reply to you has been so long. I continue to try various tactics to break through my brick wall!

Thanks for your help, best wishes, Michael