Author Topic: wright family todmorden abt 1920  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: wright family todmorden abt 1920
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 May 18 09:34 BST (UK) »
Also on the same boat as Martha Fisher and daughter Mary in 1871 is a William Beresford (Mate) -- a surname which crops in Cas's message as a maiden name for children's births to Benjamin senior's possible previous wife - Caroline Beresford.

In 1851 there is both a Caroline Berresford aged 15, with a younger sister Martha, aged 8 - living in Tipton with presumably a stepfather named Hunt and a mother Ann.

Their stepfather is also a boatman. Looks like Caroline the first wife and Martha the second wife of Benjamin Wright -- were sisters.

If this is the case the maiden name of Benjamin junior's mother should be Beresford/Berresford. However I can't see a registered birth for him at the moment.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline MaCenzie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 May 18 17:42 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all the replies. I have come across the Beresfords and Fishers of Tipton but I am unable to verify anything.The only evidence I have is Benjamin and Lotties marriage in 1893 in Runcorn naming the father as Benjamin Wright.I have evidence of Lottie and children living in Walsden Todmorden and Lottie being present at Benjamins death in 1935 in Todmorden.
He was down on the death cert as Benjamin Wright age 64.I cannot find any records of a birth for a Benjamin Beresford,Benjamin Fisher or a Benjamin Wright born in Staffordshire around 1871.I am not sure what evidence was required in 1935 for a burial I would  have thought a birth cert would be required as evidence of who you were?

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 May 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
I don't think evidence of identity was needed then, the Registrar simply took the details given to him by the informant as far as I know. hence such things as age at death depended on what the informant thought!

It may be a good idea to obtain the marriage certificate of Benjamin Wright senior to a Martha Fisher which occurred in 1871 --- Dudley Registration District. This should give her father's name, which will be evidence of her maiden name. (I suspect Fisher to be her first married name).

Also on the marriage cert you have for Benjamin junior -- does it give his father's occupation as Boatman or Waterman or the like please? If it does, that will be more evidence that the Benjamin Wright on the 1881 census in Runcorn, with wife Martha and several children - is the correct father (or who he thinks is his father.)

Like you I am struggling with this case -- if the family were travelling on the waterways, it may just be that a formal birth registration was not made -- but Martha's actual maiden name from her marriage cert to Benjamin senior in 1871 would be very useful.

(The person with Martha Fisher, widow in 1871 -- shown as 'Mate' was a William Beresford -- and there is a William Beresford, brother of both the Caroline and the Martha Beresford on the 1851 census -- but this MAY just be a coincidence.)

Places of interest;

Offline MaCenzie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 May 18 19:08 BST (UK) »
Ta, yes Benjamin senior and Junior were both watermen and I have a strong feeling they are connected somehow.The christian names of both  their children are the same. I will order a Marriage cert for Benjamin and Martha at Runcorn 1871.Will let you know, many thanks.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 May 18 19:18 BST (UK) »
M. According to the GRO index, which now shows mother's maiden names in the majority of cases -- 2 of the daughters with Benjamin and Martha in 1881 have a mother's maiden name of Beresford - viz;

Jane Wright - registered Runcorn in 1875 - mother's maiden name Beresford
Kate Wright - registered 1880 in Runcorn - mother's maiden name Beresford

However I am really struggling to find the other childrens' births with that maiden name at the moment. I just feel like I'm missing something! I am hoping someone else will pop up having found them -- especially the missing Benjamin junior! (I don't mind looking like an idiot if I'm missing something obvious -- I'm used to it!!)

Also where is Benjamin in 1881 -- I am assuming he is a Boat Boy at the moment, but we should never assume.
Places of interest;

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 May 18 19:37 BST (UK) »
Just found Joseph Wright registered in Runcorn in 1878 - mother's maiden name Beresford.

Either ages are wrong in 1881 or some births were registered late.
Places of interest;

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 19 May 18 20:20 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this helps or not - but in 1901 Benjamin senior and Martha are in Stretford, Lancs and a 'son' aged 15, William has appeared - born Runcorn. Benjamin is 73 and Martha 56. Benjamin's birthplace has changed.

In 1911 Benjamin and Martha are back in Runcorn - he is a pensioner boatman. They state they have been married for 40 years, had 7 children born alive, but 1 of these has died.

Benjamin shown as 78 and Martha 68. Clearly attention to detail re ages is not important to them. However his birth place has reverted back to Wolverhampton.
Places of interest;

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 20 May 18 19:39 BST (UK) »
1861 Captain of a boat https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7DS-RX6
RG09 Piece number   2031 Folio   111 Page   1

Benjamin Snr wife Caroline have 4 children with them also a Martha Beddesfoot/ford ??? Age 13 or 15, boat girl. entry has been crossed through as did not sleep on boat on night of census. First born child was Jane, Betsey, twins George & Thomas.

Like Pennines am struggling to locate a birth reg for Benjamin Jnr.

Who were the witness and address of Benjamin & Lottie on marriage cert? All clues can sometimes help.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 May 18 20:24 BST (UK) »
Great find Cas,

This is a real mystery isn't it. Funnily enough I had wondered if Benjamin had been registered under a completely different name - or had simply been taken on by the family and given the name Benjamin.

In addition the number of children Benjamin senior and Martha have stated they have had --- (on 1911 census) -- is 7.

According to 1881 census they have;
Jessie 14 b Tipton
David 12 b Tipton
Sarah 10 b Tipton
Jane 8 b Runcorn
Joseph 6 b Runcorn
Kate 2 b Runcorn

Can't find them in 1891
In 1901 there is a William aged 15 b Runcorn.

Hence the number of children THEY have had doesn't correspond -- but maybe the couple were confused by the question.

Jessie must have been Caroline's child -- so were David and maybe Sarah (if ages are correct on the census) also Caroline's children? In addition what happened to the 2 year old Mary Fisher, with Martha Fisher in 1871?

My head is aching!!
Places of interest;