Author Topic: William Cormack  (Read 2524 times)

Offline Smidgie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Cormack
« on: Saturday 19 May 18 16:19 BST (UK) »
My Grandfather William Cormack passed away in Keith Hospital in 1930. Am trying to locate if he was buried in Keith Cemetery but I understand there are two cemeteries in Keith. If anyone can help me please with any information. Unfortunately I do not have a grave reference.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Cormack
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 May 18 16:56 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

You may have already seen this but there is an entry for a William Cormack who died in Keith in 1930 in the excellent libindx site. No headstone reference is given but it does indicate that his death notice appeared in the the local press and gives details regarding his family.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Smidgie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 May 18 09:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry I don't have a grave reference.
William Cormack born 1893 in Tollcross Lanarkshire
Died 25th May 1930 in Keith Hospital
Married to Elizabeth Cormack (nee Morrison)
Children. Catherine, William, Edward and Agnes (Nancy)
Local press was mentioned and wondered help me with this also any reference to grave site at Keith. Thanks

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 May 18 22:13 BST (UK) »
He's probably in Broomhill Cemetery - this has been only partly indexed onn LIBINDX so far as part of an ongoing project.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Smidgie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 May 18 09:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you for information.

Offline Smidgie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 10:12 BST (UK) »
Have found more info from Libindx re William Cormack his date of death is actually 25:5:1930. How can I access parish register please. Also newspapers as stated miscellaneous.
Ref: NM269703
Cormack
William
Date of Death 27:5:1930
Age 37
Parish Register: MFC Ke2 P23 (B11)
Death Narrative: Date is for Burial

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 14:07 BST (UK) »
Try going to the Online Shop and then request archive copies for newspapers ( looks like a £1 a copy). Re the poor law application you could possibly email them to find out how to obtain a copy.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Smidgie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 16:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you Millmoor

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 16:23 BST (UK) »
How can I access parish register please.
Ah. This needs a bit of explanation.

When the LIBINDX system was created there wasn't a field for burial info, and apparently it isn't possible to add one, so the burial records are put in the field labelled 'parish register', which isn't used much for parish registers because the majority of those are indexed on SP and in the IGI.

This bit of information tells you that William Cormack is buried in Lair No 11 of Section B in Broomhill Cemetery.   

MF means microfilm. The Local Heritage Centre has microfilms of the burial books.
C means it is a burial ground book (IIRC A is parish registers and B is census microfilms but I'd need to check that)
Ke means Keith
2 means it is the second microfilm of Keith burial records, which I happen to know is for Broomhill
P23 means it is on Page 23 of the burial book, but you need to be wary because there are at least two and possibly three burial books on that one microfilm, and the only way to find P23 may be to look through all of them until you find the right page 23.
B is the section in the cemetery (so it's probably in the first book).
11 is the lair number.
The reason for saying, 'Date is for burial' is that if there is a known death date, it would be listed there, but if there isn't a death date in the burial book the date of burial is indexed, with that note appended.

Also newspapers as stated miscellaneous.
This tells you that there was an announcement of his death in the Banffshire Herald on 31 May 1930, page 1, column 1.

The other item, under 'Miscellaneous', tells you that there is a record of him applying to the Keith Parochial Board for assistance under the poor law. You definitely want to see this because the Keith Parochial Board records are especially good and can be very interesting. If his application was successful there may also be a listing in the Register of Poor, which the volunteers in the heritage centre may not have got round to indexing yet.

I see that there are actually two listings for him in LIBINDX - NM212972 and NM269703. The first one has the actual date of death and a lot of other information. The indexer of the burial book should have found NM212972 and added the burial details to that instead of creating a new record, but sometimes the search doesn't work as expected, and a parallel entry is created.

Don't bother getting a copy of the newspaper announcement as it is very unlikely to tell you anything that isn't in NM212972. Order a copy of the application for poor relief, and ask them if there is a corresponding listing in the Register of Poor, and if so, get that too. A copy of the burial record will tell you who else is buried in B11.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.