Author Topic: Demaine, france?  (Read 5171 times)

Offline N.Demaine92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Demaine, france?
« on: Saturday 19 May 18 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm pretty certain that my surname is of french origin. There's different spellings, probably through the years it's changed. I know my uncle spells it De maine, but there's also dumaine, or deMaine or demayne. I think mostly demaine. I've gone pretty far back in the family tree. I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the family tree, someone has come over from france. It's not an english surname. I'd love to know if anyone has any information on demaine's living in france or emigrating to england in the 17th century or before.

Thanks!
Demaine, Yates, Williams, Dennell, Ellis, Garner, Bowling, Marsden, Sole, Grant, Backhouse

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
Re: Demaine, france?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 May 18 16:54 BST (UK) »
I would image it derives from the province of Maine (de Maine - of Maine), capital Le Mans. It was held by the Kings of England from 1150s to c1210, and again from c1420-50, and I suppose quite a few locals my have moved to England at one time or another. It would be similar to the surnames Fleming (Flanders) or Gascoigne (Gascony)
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline N.Demaine92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 May 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you for replying.
yes i've read before that the surname demaine was first found in maine, probbably spelt De Maine.
I've tried to find any information on people emigrating to england, but it's difficult especially in the early 1600s or before.
Demaine, Yates, Williams, Dennell, Ellis, Garner, Bowling, Marsden, Sole, Grant, Backhouse

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 May 18 16:21 BST (UK) »
Could you let us know who, when and where your earliest DeMaine ancestors show up in the UK and, if known, what occupations the family had.

Two thoughts spring to mind:
Huguenot refugees after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685 (many silk weavers around Spitalfields, London)
Skilled workers (Norwich weavers in Tudor times and earlier, ceramics experts etc.)

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline N.Demaine92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 May 18 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi philip

I've got back to 1669 and this demaine was born in pateley bridge, yorkshire. Before him i don't know. I have no idea of anyone coming over to england, but they must have. They could of settled anywhere in england but i don't know, i wish i did.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 May 18 17:06 BST (UK) »
In his Dictionary of Yorkshire Surnames, George Redmonds notes that the surname has been associated with the Skipton area for about 450 years: the earliest record he gives is from 1576, and there are earlier records from which it is absent.

He refers to the research of Richard McKinley (English Surnames Series, Vol.4 The Surnames of Lancashire), who had found examples in Lancashire in the 13th & 14th centuries. In Redmonds' opinion, McKinley solved the origin in identifying Walter le Demand as Walter Demester, where Demester is a northern English term for a judge (still used in the Isle of Man). Redmonds gives further examples, with variant spellings, from Co. Durham.

Redmonds' book is quite expensive, but very comprehensive; you might find a copy in a public library or a family history centre's research room (probably more likely in Yorkshire). I haven't come across McKinley's work, but presumably similar kinds of library might have a copy (in Lancashire).
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 May 18 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi philip

I've got back to 1669 and this demaine was born in pateley bridge, yorkshire. Before him i don't know. I have no idea of anyone coming over to england, but they must have. They could of settled anywhere in england but i don't know, i wish i did.

In his Dictionary of Yorkshire Surnames, George Redmonds notes that the surname has been associated with the Skipton area for about 450 years: the earliest record he gives is from 1576, and there are earlier records from which it is absent.

He refers to the research of Richard McKinley (English Surnames Series, Vol.4 The Surnames of Lancashire), who had found examples in Lancashire in the 13th & 14th centuries.

arthurk - what a great find.

N.Demaine92 - what were the name, parents' names, and baptism date of your Pately Bridge ancestor?

For the two generations in and after the English Civil War there was massive upheaval, so if your 1669 ancestor's parents and grandparents were involved they may not have been born in Yorkshire - it's a fascinating period of history but can be difficult to track individual soldiers.

(the 1669 date knocks out my Huguenot idea  :( )
Philip

Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline N.Demaine92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 May 18 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hi philip.

He was born in 1669 or it could be 1679  in pately bridge. He was william demaine but also known as gulielmi demaine.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 May 18 20:30 BST (UK) »
There's already a topic where William's missing baptism etc has been discussed - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=793369.0

If there are any more thoughts about that it would be better to post them there, and restrict this topic to the origins of the surname.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk