Author Topic: Thomas Potter b.1864 Mackworth, Derbyshire  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Tessa Spencer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Potter b.1864 Mackworth, Derbyshire
« on: Sunday 20 May 18 09:04 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for Thomas Potter b.1864 Mackworth, Derbyshire.
In 1884 he married Ellen Peat in Derby and had  6 children with her. In 1901 he is described a carrier on a farm. In 1891 he is not shown with his wife (who is with her mother in Ashleyhay, Derbyshire).
I have been through all the censuses for Mackworth and can't find any family he might fit.
Can anyone help, please?
Tess

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Potter b.1864 Mackworth, Derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 May 18 11:03 BST (UK) »
Do you have the marriage certificate, as this will give you the fathers' name for both Thomas and Ellen?

Mackworth would come into the Shardlow Registration District, and I can't see a Thomas Potter registered in 1864.  However, there is a John Thomas Potter registered in June quarter 1864.  From the GRO site, no mother's maiden name is given for John Thomas (and his surname has been transcribed as Polter).
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Tessa Spencer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 May 18 06:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks BumbleB,
I think sending for the marriage certificate is the only option. I get the feeling he could have been illigitimate.
Tess

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 July 18 09:55 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for Thomas Potter b.1864 Mackworth, Derbyshire.
In 1884 he married Ellen Peat in Derby and had  6 children with her. In 1901 he is described a carrier on a farm. In 1891 he is not shown with his wife (who is with her mother in Ashleyhay, Derbyshire).
I have been through all the censuses for Mackworth and can't find any family he might fit.
Can anyone help, please?
Tess

If I am looking at the correct family Thomas Potter (married to Ellen -had 6 children but only 3 survived -George Herbert Bertha & Hilda) living at Forman St Derby in 1901 - his occupation is not given as a carrier on a farm but it is recorded as Carman (and Carm written in later -on original this would probably have been written in red -as if confirming)
According to old occupations a Carman was a driver of a 4 horsedrawn vehicle and was similar to todays van drivr -often working for railway companies or delivering goods for companies -which fits in with him later working for a mineral water company delivering their goods.
I haven't found him on 1891 census yet but as his children were born in Derby I think it may be more likely for him to be in Derby area as opposed to mackworth but he could be further afield delivering

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk