Author Topic: grandparents names  (Read 6889 times)

Offline gliderf5j

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: grandparents names
« Reply #27 on: Friday 25 May 18 16:06 BST (UK) »
Phillipsearching  Mary Ann was admitted to Warren street farm March 1916 mother Sarah, there was another daughter Rose Agnes b Dec qtr 1896 she was living with grandparents on 1901 census gliderf5j good luck

Offline Lolprob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 10 June 19 23:18 BST (UK) »
These two are a struggle, I am Mary's youngest grandchild. I didn't realise that there were more children  until a few months ago. It's hard work it's like they just disappeared. How ever I did find a death record for Sarah Lewis in Lewisham in 1938 she was 65, same birth date. I always believed that the last four children were placed into st Ann's orphanage and st Josephs orphanage in orpington Kent. My Grandmother Mary would have been around 18 months old, she talked about being looked after by nuns?

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 10:17 BST (UK) »
These two are a struggle, I am Mary's youngest grandchild. I didn't realise that there were more children  until a few months ago. It's hard work it's like they just disappeared. How ever I did find a death record for Sarah Lewis in Lewisham in 1938 she was 65, same birth date. I always believed that the last four children were placed into st Ann's orphanage and st Josephs orphanage in orpington Kent. My Grandmother Mary would have been around 18 months old, she talked about being looked after by nuns?

Greetings, and a warm welcome to Rootschat (a wonderful site to help with research and find new cousins).

This is a tricky search, but we'll get there in the end!

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lolprob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Thanks for the welcome, i wrote to  Diagrama (until recently known as Cabrini), in 2015 about the records they may hold about Mary Ann Lewis born 1913 (my grandmother). They hold the records for St Ann's Orphanage in Orpington Kent. Even though I provided all the information they required, lineage, birth cert,death certs and permissions etc they would not allow me access to the records. I think that those records hold the information that explains what happened to Sarah and James Lewis. However I will say they did not either confirm or deny they had any record, just that I could not have any access.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 10:47 BST (UK) »
This is a message sent to me in error from flider for lolprob. To reply to topics on RootsChat you need to log in and then click on the blue reply button at the end of the topic ;) Regards Sarah

To Lolprob
I am Sarah's [Mary's sister] daughter, i started the family search about 15 yrs ago had a researcher helping me,
He found Mary and her siblings were firstly admitted into a home called Warren Street Farm in Brighton in the
years 1914-1916, they then went into the convents in July 1919..He tried to find thier records but was told they
could have been destroyed.The death of Sarah A Lewis you found, i don't think is the right one.she is Sarah A
Sarah was just Sarah,the age is 65 on death in early 1938 our Sarah would have been 65 in the May, Did you
know that Mary and Alice have John Lewis as thier father on thier birth certificates, all the other children have
James Samual as thier father.  from fliderf5j
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lolprob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, yes I remember Aunty Sarah and Uncle Percy I am your cousin Anne's daughter. Thanks for the information its so complicated and with my nanny Mary being so young at the time she couldn't really remember much. I also never realised that Sarah's family (eaglestone) were pratically all Irish. I always assumed its was just my Grandad Bill ( your uncle) that was Irish. You might have better luck contacting Cabrini directly being a direct descendent. I never applied for information about your mum, george and alice because I knew they wouldn't give it to me. I applied just for Mary, I just a got a flat No. But they didn't say they didn't have it or the records have been destroyed. I kind of think the catholic church doesn't destroy records unless it happens by accident.it might be worth a try. Cabrini took over the records from the children's catholic society who ran the convent. Let me know if you decide to contact them. :)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 19 June 19 20:51 BST (UK) »
The access to records can be restricted because if there is information on the same page or record about someone who may still be alive, then access for you to see it will be denied. Some archives allow one of their own staff to transcribe or copy just the part relevant to your enquiry. The Catholic Church records can particularly hard to access.

The death of Sarah A Lewis you found, i don't think is the right one.she is Sarah A
Sarah was just Sarah,the age is 65 on death in early 1938 our Sarah would have been 65 in the May,

flider - the age on a death registration is only as good as the knowledge of the informant. A month or two out is nothing!! And the informant may have added the middle initial...
Deaths Mar 1938
LEWIS    Sarah A    65    Lewisham    1d   1101
Perhaps a burial record can be found which may give actual date of birth & address at time of death. Do you have the death certificate, Lolprob? Perhaps this Lewisham Sarah can be traced back...
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON