Author Topic: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]  (Read 74342 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]
« Reply #585 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 16:05 BST (UK) »
Yes, Sophie who knows what the census may reveal when it comes out in 2022. :).

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/226442688/mary-christina-battista

I added this Battista memorial to Find A Grave a little while back and now I see that someone has kindly added a photo. :)
Thought I would mention this in case any Battista descendants might be interested to know this exists if it is not known already.
Incidentally, I think the wording that someone has chosen for the inscription is a lovely tribute.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: Wednesday 18 August 21 19:11 BST (UK) »
I have just been thinking more on Giovanni.  I am still not convinced that he went back to Italy as hinted at in a workhouse entry recording of daughter Elizabeth.
At the start of this very long thread we were not aware that the Battistas would sometimes use alias names as we do now. 
Sorry, to rehash what we touched on at almost the start of this thread (around page 3/4) but I wonder if Giovanni may have used wife Anastasia's first husband's name to avoid detection after the children went into the workhouse? (I have not seen Anastasia or her Whelan children in the workhouse records).
Did he die in 1904 in Newcastle as Michael Whalen age 57 (Giovanni's age at that time).
Death notice showed that funeral was to be from his niece's home (Mrs Mallen) in Jarrow.
Could this person have been a niece of Anastasia through first marriage?
A Mary Ann Whalen married Henry Mallen in 1884 and they lived in Jarrow. 
Could this be why Anastasia's death notice records her as Whelan and the wife of late Michael and why there was crossings out in the burial register?  Perhaps Giovanni did not desert her?
It might be a long shot but then again it might be worth getting the death cert of this Michael perhaps to see where he died in Newcastle and who registered the death.
Sometimes a simple answer to things might be right under the nose and worth considering, perhaps?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: Monday 23 August 21 18:33 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately nothing definitive in the  burial register:

Jarrow Cemetery
Entry 25379
Burial 9th December 1904
Michael Whalen
Blank for occupation
Abode: Shakespeare Street, Parish Jarrow
Section M 255 Looks like 'RC'
Ceremony by James Grant

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: Wednesday 26 January 22 15:50 GMT (UK) »
I have managed to get to the Archives today and have come across James Battista again in the workhouse records.
Another area is mentioned so I thought it might possibly be worth mentioning on this thread in case at a future date this might be a clue which could lead to Giovanni .. you never know.

Friday 28th Jan 1921
Admitted: James Battista
Age 22
Discharged Soldier
RC Religion
From Woolwich Workhouse
Nearest relative: Sister, Mrs Spence 3 Norfolk Street, North Shields

Discharged same day at 6.15 pm 'Refused to stay' recorded

Saturday 29th January 1921
Admitted: James Battista at 4 pm
Ex Soldier RC Religion
Nearest relative: Sister, L. Guthrey, 3 Norfolk Street

These two admittance entries are on same page with discrepancy with his sister's name.

I checked up to the cut off point of the end of January 1922 and it appears there was no sign of James having come out again up to that point.

I wonder if perhaps Sophie might have any idea what may have led him to Woolwich and the workhouse there?

(Incidentally, I think this post will make me a marquessate :D.. just marking the day😉)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: Wednesday 26 January 22 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Great find!

Here he is in the creed registers at Plumstead workhouse - James Battista 'Seaman' admitted 24 Dec 1920.  Removed to Newcastle 27 Jan 1921.  Sister Lily Guthrie, 3 Norfolk Street, North Shields.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS1B-W3FV-Z?i=143&cat=1411240
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: Wednesday 26 January 22 18:01 GMT (UK) »
RTL, you’ll set us all off again…..
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: Wednesday 26 January 22 18:10 GMT (UK) »
RTL, you’ll set us all off again…..

hmmm, quite.

A free Search of the 1921 census shows a James Battista, born 1899 , North Shields recorded in Tynemouth.

As there is no indication of others on the same page when I hover over the icons, (so possibly an institution return) I'd hazard a guess that he's still in the workhouse in July 1921 and this is his record.

Boo

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: Wednesday 26 January 22 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Friday 28th Jan 1921
Admitted: James Battista
Age 22
Discharged Soldier
RC Religion
From Woolwich Workhouse
Nearest relative: Sister, Mrs Spence 3 Norfolk Street, North Shields

Discharged same day at 6.15 pm 'Refused to stay' recorded

Saturday 29th January 1921
Admitted: James Battista at 4 pm
Ex Soldier RC Religion
Nearest relative: Sister, L. Guthrey, 3 Norfolk Street

These two admittance entries are on same page with discrepancy with his sister's name.

The discrepancy occurs because sister Lily (Orsolina) was married first to Francis Spence and then to Robert Guthrie (residence on marriage cert 3 Norfolk Street).
Perhaps James forgot/didn't know about the second marriage.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: Wednesday 26 January 22 19:13 GMT (UK) »
and a Lily Guthrie, born 1883, North Shields is listed  in the same house as a Robert Guthrie , born 1891 North Shields,  they are  in Tynemouth Parish/Reg District in 1921, plus there was one more person on the same return, called Ethel.

If I look for Ethel then she appears to be Ethel Hunter, born 1893 , Norfolk and her record shows she is in the same house as a Lily and a Robert

All done purely by searching, these are just the index entries that can be found without purchasing either the transcript or the image - either of those would be needed to fully confirm, but its highly likely.

Boo