Author Topic: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]  (Read 74428 times)

Offline Love&Leaves

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]
« Reply #333 on: Tuesday 19 February 19 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sophie,

On page 22 post 197 you have commented that you have not come across another marriage for James Battista after his marriage to Dorothy Playford.  I think I have found evidence of an attempted one:

Northern Daily Mail - Wednesday, 20 October 1937

'DIDN'T KNOW WIFE WAS ALIVE
Newcastle Man Acquitted on Bigamy Charge
James Battista, 41-year old labourer, of Westmorland Road, Newcastle-on Tyne, who went through a form of marriage with a 17-year old girl while his wife was alive was found not guilty of bigamy at Newcastle yesterday.
Mr Justice Atkinson, instructing the jury to return a "Not guilty" verdict said there was no evidence to show that Battista knew his wife was living when he "married" for the second time.
Battista said he had been told in 1927 that his wife was dead but had not made any further enquiries.'

Blimey they were all at it!!  ::)  ;D
Walton, Battista, Moss, Maybury, Armstrong, Walker, Greenup, Norman, Holliday, Steele, Palmer, Graham, Sieverdink

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: Wednesday 20 February 19 22:34 GMT (UK) »
That's great Sophie that you have sent for the wills - these might reveal something more hopefully. 

When I can next get to the archives and check the signatures I will also check to see if there might be a photo of William Sullivan in the Police identification book.

I wonder what became of him? 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Just for the record, I have had a look at the original signature of Francis Spence on his 3 June 1905 marriage at St Augustin, North Shields and have compared this to the signature made by 'Frank Spence' on the signing up paper made during the Great War.

The capital F at the beginning of the names are similar but I do not think overall these signatures were made by the same hand.

It would appear that the original Francis Spence goes missing.  What I would be interested in ruling out is if he may have married bigamously.  Marriage locator shows that a Francis Spence married an Ann Fenton in the June quarter of 1910 at St Augustine, in Fenham in Newcastle.  During the 1911 census this Francis appears to be living with an Annie Spence and he is a coal miner.  Lily's husband Francis was also a coal miner.

Unfortunately the marriages for St Augustine at Fenham do not go up this far at Tyne and Wear Archives.  I was wondering if someone who can get to Northumberland Archives might be able to look up tis marriage?  Lily's husband Francis Spence had a Father also called Francis Spence who was a 'Master Mariner' according to the 1905 marriage.  Perhaps the 1910 marriage might also show this if these two Francis' are one and the same?

Otherwise, who knows what may have become of Francis.

No photo of William Sullivan is in the Police Identification album for North Shields.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Just confirming on here, RTL,  that I will check out the marriage at Woodhorn tomorrow

Christine

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 16:55 GMT (UK) »
That would be marvellous Christine.  Thank you for so much for your help once again.

I would like to rule out possible bigamy - if this is not Francis I do not have a clue what may have happened to him.  There appears to have been understandable bad feeling between him and William Sullivan and Francis is absent from Lily's household in 1911.  Possibly it might be because he may have been with Annie Spence in Newcastle.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Christine .. If the marriage does record a Father Francis Spence who was a mariner .. might it possible if there is time for the signature of the groom to be compared to the 1905 one which took place at St Augustin, North Shields on 3 June 1905.

I understand if you might not have time to make such a comparison, I know you have very important work of your own to do and you are looking up the 1910 marriage as a kindness.

It is just if the 1910 marriage shows a Father as also Francis who was a mariner - matching signatures would tick all the boxes.

Not to worry, as I say if you don't have time - I am just very grateful that you are making the time to look up the 1910 marriage. :)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Just caught me before I left!

Will do

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much! :)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 16:33 GMT (UK) »

Not sure if the Battista descendants have come to any conclusion about Vincent having enlisted in the name of Frank Spencer, but I think the recent newspaper snippets about Lily lend some weight.

IF this had been her husband, its quite possible that she may have had quite a lot to say (possibly in the courts) about his sister getting his effects, back pay and war gratuity as despite the info given on enlistment if it WAS her husband then Lily would have been his legal next of kin and it amounted to around £20.
Which was a fair amount way back then.
:-)

Boo