Author Topic: Have records been removed from FamilySearch?  (Read 1217 times)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Have records been removed from FamilySearch?
« on: Tuesday 22 May 18 23:33 BST (UK) »
What has happened at FamilySearch?  I keep a pretty close eye on the US records to see if anything new has been added that is useful to me.  As of yesterday, there were 1098 US data sets.  All of a sudden, today, that number has been reduced to 858.  Does anyone know what has been eliminated and why?  Or is this just some kind of glitch? 
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Have records been removed from FamilySearch?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 15:14 BST (UK) »
So I take it no one has any idea what is going on or else no one cares that 240 data sets have disappeared. In Wisconsin, for example, the Outagamie County land records are gone and also the database that included naturalization records for Marquette County.  In Ohio, the probate records for Medina County are gone.

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 15:28 BST (UK) »
I logged into Familysearch last week and couldn't make the site work, let alone find information for UK that I know was there.  I don't know why they have changed it and made it so difficult to navigate.  Also their trees are as bad as Ancestry!!
(I don't put my tree online but I have helped people who do!)
rayard.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hopefully it is only a glitch. I do not have enough knowledge of US records to comment on them but certainly looking at English records something appears to be amiss in the "Image only - Historical Records" section as only 7 data sets are now accessible using this route.

As an example the Durham Bishops Transcripts are now not accessible using this route. However I was able to access using the catalogue. Have you checked to see if missing data sets can be located using the catalogue?

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 15:52 BST (UK) »
Likely because they are making money by selling them to the big commercial companies, they used to have many real records and many have disappeared to be replaced by the index only and a link to view the record on one of their 'partnering' sites...the ones that you have to pay a subscription to and the LDS get cash from
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 16:00 BST (UK) »
Likely because they are making money by selling them to the big commercial companies, they used to have many real records and many have disappeared to be replaced by the index only and a link to view the record on one of their 'partnering' sites...the ones that you have to pay a subscription to and the LDS get cash from

No you could not be more wrong!

It is not the LDS that is selling the digitised records it is the archives that hold the records.
Those money grabbing archives are stopping the LDS presenting the digital images on their website in order to gain royalties from those who will pay them for their underhand activities.
Those same archives were happy to profit from the LDS microfilming the records, thereby providing a backup in case of fire, floods and theft.

Unfortunately it did not protect the records from the two legged vermin who are feeding on them now.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 16:14 BST (UK) »
Which "money grabbing archives" are you referring to?  Do you mean that Outagamie County, for example, is selling its records to for profit enterprises?  I don't see how they could do that since, by law, public records are public and cannot be copyrighted in the United States.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 16:24 BST (UK) »
No I was writing about the UK archives who have profited from the LDS over the last fifty or more years but have now realised that they can gain more by licencing the digital versions for the records to online companies and have made the LDS remove the images of parish records previously online.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 16:29 BST (UK) »
Oh well, after having raised the alarm, the missing records are now back.  The number is at 1098 data sets again.   Outagamie, Marquette and Medina County records are as they were before.  I guess FamilySearch was just doing some kind of house cleaning.  Mea culpa.