Author Topic: Evan Evans...looking for a few of them.  (Read 4281 times)

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Evan Evans...looking for a few of them.
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 May 18 10:41 BST (UK) »
 Mr Evan Evans, of Cardiff, and Cefnpennar House, Mountain Ash, who died at Northlands, Cardiff, on the 13th August 1905?
http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3576396/3576398/8/Evan%20Evans%20Gerlan
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 May 18 10:51 BST (UK) »
Evan Evans was still alive on the 1939 Reg.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 May 18 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Looking again at your first post you mention that your GGG Grandfather (born c1835 in Maltreath) was Evan Griffith Evans. I wondered if his son (Born c1874) was also given Griffith as his middle name?

I ask this because on Free BMD there is a birth of an Evan Griffith Evans - Bangor District Dec Quarter 1873 Reference 11b/492 and a death of an Evan G Evans in Pontypridd District March Quarter 1945 age 71 Reference 11a/559.

The dates/areas/ages seem to fit and I wondered if this could be your GG Grandfather's missing details?

Alan

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 May 18 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You think you may have cracked it and then...

Just to make it more difficult I have just found that there is an Evan Evans on North Wales BMD as well as Evan Griffith Evans (whose reference was BANB2/21/74) in the sub district of Llanllechid -
also in 1873 - this reference being BANB2/21/42.

And in Pontypridd 2 potential deaths for Evan Evans where the dates/ages appear to tie in - Sept Quarter 1940 age 67 (11a/829) or June Qtr 1959 age 86 (8b/492).

Never easy is it?

Alan

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 25 May 18 10:40 BST (UK) »
Looking at deaths, there are a couple of Evans G Evans's in Mountain Ash, one at least born same year, but neither of them the right ones:

There is an Evan G Evans on the 1901 census for 25 Commercial Street Mountain Ash, but he was born in Cardiganshire.

There's an Evan Glyndwr Evans on 1939 Reg, but date of birth is illegible

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 25 May 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You initially said Evan (c1874) lived in Gerlan until 1904. I wondered if you could provide a bit more detail please?

His parents are still in Goronowy Strret in 1901, but I am struggling to find him in the 1901 census - could it be your man age 29 at Tan y Foel, Bethesda married to Mary (also 29) or perhaps assuming he may have moved to South Wales before the census, could it possibly be the single man age 28 born in Caernarvonshire who is boarding at 31 Morgan Street, Pontypridd with the Reynold Williams family?

It might help find him if you could confirm Evan's wifes name and when/where they married?

Alan

Offline HDeFer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 26 May 18 02:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone!  You have been most helpful.

Tall Al - the holes you have found are some that we have found as well.  I do not know much more about his wife Mary (that could be them at Tan y Foel), other than she was born around 1833 in Llangeinwen, Anglesey.  I can see them in the census records in the Village of Brynsiencen in the 1861 census, and at 19 Well Street in Gerlan in the 1871 census, with children Thomas, Evan, Mary, Owen, Emmanuel, and Robert John.  In the 1881 census, they are at 16 Goronwy St., Gerlan, with Thomas, (son Evan passed away in 1873) Mary, Owen, Emmanuel, Robert, and Evan (7 years old).  1891 the family is at the same address, with Evan, Mary, Emmanuel, Robert, and Evan living in the home. 

I have not yet traced her back before the 1861 census, or she and Evan (GGG) after the 1891 census.  I do think it may be them in the 1901 census at Tan y Foel, so I'll continue digging into that.  His son Evan (my GG Grandfather), no wonder I am confused, married Elizabeth sometime between the 1891 and 1901 in Gerlan.  In 1901 I have Evan and Elizabeth, along with Evan Thomas Evans, Maggie M, and Robert John (my Great Grandfather) at 6 Goronwy St. in Gerlan.  In the 1911 census they are at 54 Cilhaul Terrace in Mountain Ash, Glamorgan. 

I have Evan Evans (GGG) death record from 1904, but no mention of Mary.  Most of the men are listed as Quarrymen, possibly/probably working at Penrhyn at some point, which may have been their motivation to move south.  I am hoping to get to the Gwynedd Records office to look at the Penrhyn documents - would like to confirm that they worked there, and what their involvement was in the strikes.

On our ancestry tree, it shows Evan Evans (GG) as having a death date of 1940 in Mountain Ash, Wales.  I do not see any supporting documentation there, but it is possible.

Thank you for your help!  Let me know if there is any other info that would be helpful and I will try to fill in what we know if possible, but I don't think I have much more than what is above. 
Heather

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 26 May 18 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you for the extra details - it helps to eliminate several possibilities in the censuses.

Having looked into this again, I think you are left with the task of obtaining death certificates from the General Register Office if you are to complete the picture. Unfortunately there is no guarantee that any certificates you may send for will be the right ones.

Evan (c1835) as you say died Nov 1904 age 66 and I think it could be his wife Mary who died 7 years later in Mar Quarter 1912 (Bangor)  age 77 reference 11b/686

Evan (who according to the 1939 register was born 15 April 1873) I think is the one who died Mar Quarter 1940 age 67. His wife Elizabeth (born 17 March 1873) - her potential death could be either
 Mar Quarter 1946 age 72 Pontypridd 11a/531 or June Quarter 1946 age 73 Pontypridd 11a/435.

I am afraid it is guesswork but unfortunately, I can't think of any other way to answer the questions - however I do hope that the extra information you have obtained so far helps your forthcoming visit.

Kindest regards

Alan