Author Topic: 3rd Dragoon Guards - finding John Parsons  (Read 693 times)

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
3rd Dragoon Guards - finding John Parsons
« on: Friday 25 May 18 07:39 BST (UK) »
I've had some fantastic help from RootsChat members with regard to a multiple great grandie John Parsons (Abt 1802 - 1851). I've been able to confirm his appointment to the Mounted Guards from the 3rd Dragoon Guards. I'd love to know more about his military history (ulterior motive being to find where he was born and whether he was ever in Cork, Ireland to confirm his marriage!) I have been advised to search the National Archives which I have done and I can see that I will need to make a request for (potentially) the right documents. Are there any other places I could be looking for information? I have browsed forces-war-records with no luck. Thanks for any suggestions :)
Holohan, Darenzy (various), Farmer, Peacock, Formby, Hannon, Parsons

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Dragoon Guards - finding John Parsons
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 May 18 09:20 BST (UK) »
Just to check the basics - what exactly was the Mounted Guards you refer to?  There is/was no military regiment with that as the title, I find reference at the National Archives to the Customs (or revenue) Mounted Guard.  Do you have dates for his 3rd Dragoon Guards service?

Just seen your other thread  - can I just check you are looking on this thread for his 3rd DG time??  Do you have the dates?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 May 18 23:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry MaxD for being unclear. Yes I am looking for his time in the 3rd Dragoon Guards. I estimate he was born about 1802 so, without knowing the age young men could join, perhaps from 1818 till he joined the Mounted Guards in March 1834?

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 May 18 09:27 BST (UK) »
A quick look over army references in newspapers of the time (I chose 1817-1834!) shows them in Ireland 1824-1828 and again in early 1834.  It isn't totally straightforward in that regiments often had detachments stationed I separate places,  I'd prefer to re-check if you've got a closer date for his marriage?
MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 May 18 10:41 BST (UK) »
MaxD I'm doing my best not to get excited...!! The marriage I have that seems to be a good fit (and the only one I can find!) is John Parsons marrying Mary Farrell in 1827 in the Diocese of Cork and Ross in County Cork, Ireland. I can confirm that Farrell was John's wife's maiden name from the birth certificate of their son Robert (my direct line). Further their first child William was born in Glasgow, Scotland in 1829. Both John and Mary give different birth places on the census documents of 1841 and 1851 stating Norfolk and then Hampshire (Winchester for John and Gosport for Mary) respectively. In Mary's last census she states she's from Ireland hence the reason I'm open to an Irish marriage. Thanks for your efforts - I'm feeling very close to shining some light on this couple!!!

Name:   John Parsons
Sex:   Male
Marriage:   1827
Marriage Place:   Diocese of Cork & Ross, County Cork, Ireland
Spouse:   Mary Farrell
Source:   Albert Eugene Casey, Eleanor L. Downey-Prince, and Ursula Dietrich.. Index of O'Kief, Coshe Mange, Slieve Lougher and Upper Blackwater in Ireland. 16 vols. Birmingham, Alabama: Knocknagree Historical Fund, 1952-1971. (And as found on Ancestry)

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 May 18 12:11 BST (UK) »
Keep calm!
https://archive.org/stream/recordofthirdorp00canniala#page/n25/mode/2up/search/1828 - History of 3rd DG.

Newspaper snippets around 1827:
Jan 1825 report on the locations of the cavalry   - 3rd Dragoon Guards – Cahir Co Tipperary
Nov 1825 detachment of 3rd DG en route to Ireland to join their Regiment
Dec 1827  sad death of a lady from Fermoy [near Cahir) who was to marry an officer of the 3rd DG set her nightdress alight by accident and perished
Feb 1828 3rd DG ordered to Scotland

Ireland marriage and Scotland child's birth seem to add up!

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 May 18 12:34 BST (UK) »
Oh my giddy aunt MaxD. Thank you. That's absolutely fantastic. I haven't read through the link but will tomorrow when fresh. But nothing is going to stop the genealogy happy dance before bed!!!