Author Topic: Render Smith and Mark Hearne circa 1900  (Read 7742 times)

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Render Smith and Mark Hearne circa 1900
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 June 18 09:54 BST (UK) »
 Hi Richard

Another great story from you, very interesting, i have just been looking at the Pullens, there is familys of them, Hawkers, from the South Coast that makes the papers back into the 1800s, there seams to be a ruff and tough lot from the London way around the turn of the 1900s, then some way back to, some start of working on the fairs then go on to be big names in the Showmans Worled, i do not know who anyone is or are they related to the Pullens who are the Same as the Mark Hearn Familys you look for, i have hundreds of records that i write down with information on, i have just put a few of the Hearns on below, and i put the one about Plato Ayres on for i am looking into the name Plato. i saw the records of the Bucklands but also the Smiths are way back with that name, i will try and find more now of Ayres, i have learned so much history of the Gipsies from Scotland to Wales, coast to Coast, the Sharlottes can be spelt Charlottes, they to are Related to my Mother, the Nelsons i think to can be Nielsons, they are mostley from Scotland and related also in the records i find, and Nicholas of the the Slenders, they like that name, the Smalls from the South are interesting to.
everything below just Extracts
 Thursday 11 January 1816 Bath Chronicle and Weekley Gazette
Saturday also 3 April Bristol Mirror
George Pullen, up for stealing a chestnut mare.
Tuesday 2 July 1861 South Eastern Gazette Kent Ann Pullen, 41 travelling Hawker charged with stealing Saturday 29 June 1861 in the Dover Telegraph and Cinque-Ports General Advertiser in the same year she is described as a Hawker of Millinery and Haberdashery. Job Pullen, adjudged a rogue and a Vagabond in 1810 on Thursday 11 October in the Cheltenham Chronicle. On Tuesday of July 7 1818 in the Public Ledger and Daily Advertiser London, W. Pullen Hawker was convicted at the Swann Inn Chichester, a missing dog was found in the cart of Pullen, with the most horrible brutality he took the dog from the cart and broke both its forelegs, the correspondent writes “rejoice to hear that the Magistrates are determined to inflict this cruel wretch the severest penalty of the law”. Edward Pullen of Kent Street a Fish Hawker on Wednesday 9 June 1880 charged with cruelty to a horse. In 1909 in several papers there is the story of the Sand Bagging Hawker Spies who are a burglar gang, it is from the London Sessions Courts, William Pullen, Hawker, Albert Legg and Richard Smith, they would go round Hawking flowers and keep an eye out for houses to break into, they would hit people with a bag of sand to stun them instead of say a heavy club that might kill them, that is where the term sand-bagging derives its origin. Friday 20 September 1907 in the Globe London it is wrote of assaults on the Police from a violent gang from Wansworth, they were convicted at the Old Bailey Criminal Court, Timothy Hearn 35 a Hawker, Joseph Pullen 33 and Charles Fuller 38 who was said to be a Carman. Also in the South London Press on the 10 of August and on the 3 to in the Croydon Chronicle and East Surrey Advertiser it is wrote of a Timothy Hearn 33  who also goes by the name of Young. Timothy Hearne is known as a Costermonger in the year 1909 on Saturday 14 August, Uxbridge & W. Drayton Gazette London, there is also quite a few with a John Hearne a Costermonger around the same years. There is the name Pullen in the Papers from the South relating to the many people who have sorts of rides or attractions at Fairs and such, many names are listed, there are names like Herrings and Pullens that caught my eye from the early 1900s, then the Pullen’s seam to expand and up the North you will find many story’s of their times in further years, a very big name was the Pullen’s.

Tuesday 23 August 1949

Great Old Lady of Showland Dies.

Mary Ann Pullen(90). The Feasts and Fairs of the North have lost a great character. Mrs. Pullen was the mother of Mr. William Pullen, the present King of the Showmen, and President of the Showman’s Guild. She had lived in a caravan most of her life; managed the steam swings since the death of her husband and had brought up her family in caravans.

In the Kentish Independent  25 May 1844 Clementine Draper Leandra Hearn Sophia Hearn and Susanna Lee are up in court. Then in the Maidstone Journal and Kentish Advertiser and also the Southern Eastern Gazette on the 9 July1833 Leander Hearn a Gipsy girl is spoken of, also Croydon is talked about. In 1802 in the Bury and Norwich Post, Sophia Hearn and a gang of 10, vagrants, commonly known as Gipsies were commited to Wood-Bridge House of Correction.

There is a Plato Ayres and Raymond Sexton charged with robbery and stabbing in 1866 22 July, Uxbridge & W Drayton Gazette yet on the 28 July in the Windsor and Eton Express they are now known as Raymond Ayres and Plato Sexton, in August they are said to be 18 and 19 years of age in the London Daily News, there is a Plato Sexton charged with turning animals out to graze in 1859 Windsor and Eton Gazette 25 June

Richard i will try and find the Ayres Family next plus the Plato name, i have lots of records of them somewhere, but everything over the last few years research is mixed up, but i will try my best and find evan small things that may interest you.

michael

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 June 18 10:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Michael interesting stuff, have had a read through this morning. The Pullens must have been a travelling family at least from the late 1700's then to have adults propping up as early as 1810. I'd not come across them before or heard of them in sources before finding this link with the Hearns. Wonder if they were one of the Non-Romany basket making families who married into the Southern community around that time, like the Brazils, Gobys etc. Could be.
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 June 18 11:20 BST (UK) »
 Richard there is so many things to learn, i know you yourself are a seasoned researcher but for me so many story's are eye opening, do you know Richard in my researchers for the Beaneys and related family's and the Southern Gipsies plus all related family's, i came across a word spelt Broom-dasher, i know you know but for me these things are of great interest, i have lots to put on soon on the Beaney page, many many names, you will be interested, i will just put it on as small extracts for all the many Southern People who look for their Relatives, i respect everyone, i was reading one book about Kent and the South published in the 1800s, you just would not believe it but on what they said was the Dover Road, well this writer transcribed his journey, there was all sorts going along, back and forwards, all kinds of travelers, i was amazed how life was similar in ways to our time, i try to research and learn of all the Gipsy People, i dont care what people say when they say or make out their somehow the real deal, i have always thought that in this time the true research of the Gipsies is only beginning, in the future people will look back on these times as the start, in the past those writers will be thought of as in the same way as those scholars of the past evan though they where of educated mind they will be thought of as the people who in their hearts talked of the world as being flat, i think Gipsy People mixed in the lands before they came to Britain, right from the first time, i think its true there was a great upheaval in the Country's that they say Gipsys descend from, they just got out or they died or they assimilated into the ones who were trying to enslave them, i have been looking at your web site, i see you write so many names down that are not or never were mentioned in the written history of the so-called scholars, this is just the start.
 Good Luck WITH YOUR NEW BOOKS.
Leahcim

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 11 June 18 09:36 BST (UK) »
Michael yes I think you are very right. When we read the books and writings of the past we now know so much things they didn't and can often now see where they were right or went wrong, but they were a product of their times, and I bear in mind we are still on the same road. I'm sure even in five or ten years time so much more will be known on the families and subjects I am researching now, and a lot of what I write on might also be seen differently in light of new evidence. I'm sure that will be the case, it always is. On the other hand I'm sure there is so much of the past that is simply gone forever and we will never know or really understand, stories, tales that died with the holder. That's a sad thought. But every researcher in their own way is helping us all paint a bigger picture, and I hope my few brushstrokes are doing their bit for the wider effort!
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London

Offline sueswright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 June 18 02:42 BST (UK) »
Nathaniel Pullen 1909 is my paternal Grandfather. Please can you tell me about the book and photos for the Hearne/Pullen/Smith family.

Thanks
Sue

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 June 18 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

The photos are from a Victorian photo album. They show Mark Hearne, outside his tents with his family in East Peckham, Kent,, camped on the downs with his donkey, and out working the streets with his grinding barrow,  and appear to have been taken  Summer/Autumn, probably in 1900.

This is the family on the April 1901 census.

John Hearne    Head    M    49    Watford, Hertfordshire
Sinamenty Hearne    Wife    F    47    Watford, Hertfordshire
Mershach Hearne    Son    M    16    Fulham, London
Peter Hearne    Son    M    24    Fulham, London
Charles Hearne    Son    M    13    Fulham, London
Phoebe Pullin    Daughter    F    21    Watford, Hertfordshire
Samuel Smith    Brother-In-Law    M    52    Chiswick, Middlesex
John Le Aby    Nephew    M    21    Fulham, London
Mark Pullin    Grand Son    M    1    Uxbridge, Middlesex

The family photo I have shows five others, beside John Mark Hearne and his wife. Judging by their looks and ages from the census record I would think they are most probably Samuel Smith, Peter Hearne, Charles Hearne, Phoebe Pullen and Mark Pullen. 

Regards

Richard

Offline sueswright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 17 June 18 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard........am I able to see these photos please? If so where will I find them.

Regards

Susa

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 17 June 18 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue, I don't currently have scanning facilities at home, to make digital copies from the album, but will soon be getting them scanned professionally for inclusion in my research on the Hearn family, which I plan to publish in October. If you PM me your email address I will keep you updated, and am of course very happy to send you copies when this is done. Regards Richard

Offline sueswright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 17 June 18 23:24 BST (UK) »
Thankful so much Richard........ I will PM my email address for you.

Sue