Author Topic: Render Smith and Mark Hearne circa 1900  (Read 7931 times)

Offline sueswright

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Render Smith and Mark Hearne circa 1900
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 07:10 BST (UK) »
John Mark (he often just wet by Mark) Hearn(e) was my 2nd great Grandfather. He was born in Watford 1851 to Josiah & Leander Hearne. He died 13/021/1924/ He married Cinnamenty Smith daughter of Righteous and Trainety Smith 04/05/1874 in Chiswick. They supposedly had 16 children (10 of them dying before 1911). John Mark's daughter Phoebe married William Isaac Pullen. Phoebe and William are my Great Grandparents. I have a couple of photos of John Mark, maybe they are the same as you have.

Offline sueswright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 07:15 BST (UK) »
I have the wedding certificate of John Mark Hearne and Cinnementy (Sinnementy) Smith if you are interested in seeing it I can email it to you.

Offline HotDesker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 22 April 23 17:20 BST (UK) »
Sorry for jumping on this chat.

I've just been looking through the comments after receiving an email from my cousin about John Lewis and Rito Smith.  The details of the newspaper report does appear to match our 2GGF, John Lewis (bap 1845 in Pitsford, Northamptonshire). John's father was still living in Kingsthorpe in 1871, which would probably be why he would have gone back to Kingsthorpe. 

Mark and Sinamenty Hearn were witnesses to John's marriage to Louisa Smith in Hammersmith in 1877. Mark was also a witness on John's daughter's marriage certificate in West Kensington in 1886 (Jane Lewis - Jane gave her address as The Van, Connor's Ground, Fulham). 

We are not absolutely sure about John's wife either. The information for the Census of 1881 and 1891 shows conflicting information, wife's name switches from Elizabeth (b Woolstone, Warwickshire) to Louisa (b Oxfordshire, then to Northamptonshire in 1901, then back to Woolston in 1921) ???

We cannot find Jane Lewis' birth or baptism record; she was apparently born in Battersea c1865 (1939 Register shows 22 Sep 1865 - no long after John's brush with Rito Smith in Jan 1865).

sueswright, can you tell me who the witnesses were on John Mark Hearn and Sinimenty Smith's witnesses were on their marriage certificate please. 

I would appreciate any information you have on any relationship with the Lewis' Hearns and Smiths.

Offline sueswright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 21 September 23 02:17 BST (UK) »
So very sorry for my late reply....the witnesses to John Mark Hearn and Sinnamenty Smith were Henry Lovell and Fanny Coates.

Offline sueswright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 21 September 23 02:55 BST (UK) »
Also Sinnementy Smith had a sister Louisa Smith....I am quite confident that it's the same Louisa Smith that married John Lewis. Still researching to get proof.

Offline Alan Pink

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 20 December 23 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for Jumping in on this chat.

Jane Lewis B1865 is my GGrandmother and John Lewis B1846 my GGGrandfather. 

Like Sue I have always thought there was a family link between John Lewis's wife Louisa Smith and Mark Hearn and Sinamenty Hearn nee Smith, particularly as the Hearn family name shows up in my DNA matches. I too thought that Louisa Smith could be a sister of Sinamenty Smith, however on John Lewis marriage record to Louisa Smith her fathers name is recorded as Samuel Smith, so maybe she is a cousin.

It does seem strange that if John Lewis was involved in the robbery of Rito Smith, that his daughter Sinamentry Smith and her husband Mark Hearn would then be a witness at John Lewis and Louisa Smith's wedding.

I have never been able to find a record of Jane Lewis birth either, and as Hotdesker says John Lewis wife's name seen to fluctuate, but I always suspected that he had been married twice or at least cohabited with Elizabeth before he married Louisa Smith in 1877. Particularly as it looks like 4 of John Lewis children were born before he married Louisa Smith in 1877. 

I too would appreciate any information you have on any relationship between the Lewis, Hearn and Smith families.

Many thanks