Author Topic: Ayres Family in Launceston, Cornwall  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ayres Family in Launceston, Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 14:06 BST (UK) »
What we don't know - and I appreciate that you don't either - is whether 'C' Ayres was a single woman with that name, or whether she was a married lady.   She may only have lived at that specific address for a short time (I note there was a hotel in Westgate Street where she was possibly working).

We need some basic details about your man especially his ca. birthdate - if 'C' Ayres was indeed a sister we need some kind of timeframe of age for her.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ayres Family in Launceston, Cornwall
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 00:58 BST (UK) »
You are not giving enough information for anyone to work with.

Assuming that C. AYRES ever existed.....it might be worth trying variations on AYRES.....EYRES / EYERS / AYERS.....

As Annette has said - why are you looking for an Ayres family. The sister might be single.

Is 1920 the year of his enlistment...…..where is he enlisting....somewhere in the SE of England?.....miles away?.....Army of another country?

What is the term of enlistment.....during which time the NOK detail remains the same?...….sister is still in Launceston? And, if single, then she is still unmarried at the end of the term of enlistment?

What names does your ancestor give a daughter.....initial "C" for...…...Catherine / Charlotte / Constance / Cecilia?...…..daughter that he names after his sister?

What age is ancestor at 1920?. If he is young.....late teens early twenties...then naming sister as NOK might suggest that parents are deceased. 

The name he uses in 1920 is important, because his sister would have to know him to be using that name for there to be any  communication between ancestor and sister, either directly with each other, or via the Army.