Author Topic: Searching for Parents of George Randall (born around 1823)  (Read 16222 times)

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Parents of George Randall (born around 1823)
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 07:05 BST (UK) »
There are a lot of if's and but's here but what you need is real evidence. George does'nt seem to be in Numurkah Cemetery, Victoria. I've visited several sites that list burials there and he's not one of them.Also I've searched Trove for his obituary and can't find it

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 07:46 BST (UK) »
https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/wills-and-probates

George RANDALL late of Strathmerton  died 5 Nov 1889

VPRS 28/ P2  unit 275,  item 41/100            page 4 of 4
....I am informed and believe that he left a wife and children at Port McDonnell South Australia about thirty years ago.......

This is obviously a general indication of time.

You have said "...He died on November 5, 1889 and was buried on November 7 at Numurkha Cemetery, Victoria."     

Where do you see this information about the burial site? Do you have this death certificate?

I am not seeing the obituary about the death of George....what newspaper....what date please?

You need to sort through the notes you have.  Look to confirm / refute details.   And read everything with a critical eye.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 08:42 BST (UK) »
This maybe George's death

RANDALL
Given namesGeo
EventDeath
Father's name / Spouse's family nameUnknown
Mother's maiden name / Spouse's given nameUnknown (Unknown)
Reg. year1889
Reg. no19116

Offline Dee Lusional

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 09:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you solidrock, and wivenhoe for everything you've done to date. I'm going to have to sort through the documents and notes and try to get them into some type of order and timeline as I've had a quick look this evening and I've discovered that my distant cousin has three different dates for George's birth and she has his death certificate. Also, she omitted one of his children from the family tree she gave me and has added it later - his first child is Martha Augusta born Adelaide 21/08/1851 so there is a link to George Randall of Rotten Row.

The newspaper with his Death Notice is The Border Watch, published April 2, 1890.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
I would say thats a very good link to your George.  ;D

Found the death notice.

Offline Dee Lusional

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 10:44 BST (UK) »

Excellent thanks! :D It certainly seems like our George! I will sift through the notes I have to try to put everything including dates in order, it will be a big job so will try to get through it tomorrow  :-\

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 11:27 BST (UK) »
The marriage record you have, is it the original or transcribed?  The age of 27 could be 22.

Offline Dee Lusional

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 01:41 BST (UK) »
I finally got a chance to scan the marriage certificate - I think it looks like George's age is 27. My mother purchased this certificate in 1976 I think.

Offline Dee Lusional

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 06:57 BST (UK) »
Well I've gone through the notes, and I don't think my brain can handle much more. This is what I've found from all the notes relating to George Randall.

Birth information my cousin has for George (note written in 2006): “Born Derby England circa 1826 (ref to 1841 Census for Derby, Parish of All Saints, Rotten Row). 1st child of George Randall and his wife Martha. George’s age at the time of the census = 13.”

She has also recorded a birth date of 7 May 1823
And below, another one - 14 February 1828

Family Group Sheet (my cousin wrote this in August 2006):
Husband: George Randall, born 1788, Hairdresser Perfumer Hay Market 12 Rotten Row, Derby. Married circa 1826
Wife: Martha Augusta Randall, born circa 1806, Nottingham, England, house wife of 12 Rotten Row, Derby, England
(My cousin has given me a photocopy of George and Martha’s marriage record, it’s very poor, but I can just make out their names.)
Children:
George Randall: born 14 February 1828, Derby, England, Christened same day at All Saints Parrish Church, Derby England. Died 5 November 1889, Strathmerton, Victoria, Buried 7 November 1889 at Numurkah Cemetery Victoria C/E section. Occupation – hotel licensee Port McDonnell SA, Labourer/Farmer SA, Victoria. Religion – Church of England, Spouse Ellen Janeway, married 5 November 1850 Holy Trinity Church of England, Adelaide, SA.
Henry Anthony Randall
Martha Augusta Randall
Walter Randall
Richard Randall

1850 – According to what my cousin says she has put together ‘based on hard facts’, George arrived in Australia circa 1850 and in November of that year he married Ellen Janeway at Holy Trinity Church of England, Adelaide SA.
Children of George and Ellen:
Martha Augusta
Ellen
Annie
George
Henry
Richard
Walter
Harriett Cooper (named after Ellen’s mother)

1865 – George disappeared around the time of the birth of his last child. At the time the family guessed he must have returned to England and was lost at sea.

Taken from my cousin’s notes:
“It was quite by chance that his death was found. Another family member first found the listing and by-passed it because it had no parents listed. When she told me, I decided to take a punt and send for the certificate. In any case the person who had given the information on the certificate was a neighbour. He stated that George Randall, the deceased, had been born in Derby, England, and had arrived in South Australia in 1850 and that he had left a wife and children in Port McDonnell, South Australia some twenty years ago. Now ever the detective, I sent for the papers concerning his estate and found that he had died intestate. The public trustee had placed an advertisement in the Mt Gambier paper asking for family to come forth (to protect the estate) of course no one did, no one knew he was living in that place. I am certain that he is our George Randall, but why he disappeared from his wife and family, no one knows.”

Further to my cousin’s notes, she was having doubts about George sailing his father’s ship out from England too, but other descendants of George told her that his family was connected to the sea.

I’ve been trying to find information about George in regards to him being a passenger or crew on a ship that arrived in Australia, but no luck so far.

As we can see in these notes, the children's names have carried on from George and Martha.

I found a record of George's burial at Numurkah.

It’s amazing how much research my mother and cousin have managed to do – mum prior to the Internet, and my cousin and her husband travelling around the country in their Winnebago interviewing distant relatives, checking newspapers, and cemeteries etc. A huge, and wonderful effort!