Author Topic: Searching for Parents of George Randall (born around 1823)  (Read 16242 times)

Offline Dee Lusional

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Parents of George Randall (born around 1823)
« Reply #81 on: Monday 04 June 18 05:30 BST (UK) »
Here's the original about George and Dingley Dell in Trove.

Thanks so much solidrock, I'm so pleased to have this and have made a copy of it  :)

Offline Dee Lusional

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Monday 04 June 18 05:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you for making that title bigger, I was struggling with the first one. There are no names on it so it's not the transfer. I've searched SAILIS for Transfer No. 7076 Title Deeds but can't find them. I asked the Dingley Dell web site where  they are but they have'nt replied which makes me think they don't want anyone to see them. The plot thickens.  ???

Thanks for searching SAILIS, it's not an easy site to get around. I've searched the site thoroughly too and there's nothing on there relating to the Dingley Dell land prior to the Certificate of Title as above, dated 1922 around the same time as the government took the title over. There are no details of any transfers including the one George is said to have made to AL Gordon as you can see in the image. The plot certainly does thicken  :o

I'm guessing you've already come across this, not that it's much help now: http://maps.sa.gov.au/heritagesearch/HeritageItem.aspx?p_heritageno=16331

Offline Dee Lusional

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Monday 04 June 18 05:44 BST (UK) »
That was the series details search, this one is the dealing details

Offline xiaolu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Monday 04 June 18 06:30 BST (UK) »
The earliest mention I could find for him in the Mt Gambier district was in 1861.

He is offering a 30 acre property with an established orchard for sale.  I think that
must be his old property at Turkey Gully near Strathalbyn, not some new property
he had developed at Mt Gambier.

One of the earliest steamboats on the River Murray was operated by a captain Randall,
but none of the mentions that I could find had his first name.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Monday 04 June 18 07:12 BST (UK) »
There is a captain William Richard Randell...

http://www.murrayriver.com.au/paddleboats/murray-paddlesteamers/

Interesting, he was born in Devon...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Randell

Offline Dee Lusional

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Monday 04 June 18 08:31 BST (UK) »
The earliest mention I could find for him in the Mt Gambier district was in 1861.

He is offering a 30 acre property with an established orchard for sale.  I think that
must be his old property at Turkey Gully near Strathalbyn, not some new property
he had developed at Mt Gambier.

One of the earliest steamboats on the River Murray was operated by a captain Randall,
but none of the mentions that I could find had his first name.

Thanks xiaolu, that's so interesting, I hadn't come across the sale of that property. The ship story has really got me stumped.

Offline Dee Lusional

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Monday 04 June 18 08:43 BST (UK) »
There is a captain William Richard Randell...

http://www.murrayriver.com.au/paddleboats/murray-paddlesteamers/

Interesting, he was born in Devon...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Randell

Thanks solidrock, it's certainly interesting. I had a look and can't find any match with our George  :( I have searched and searched but can't find any reference to the ship story. What has me puzzled is there's no actual record of George's birth in any Australian documents such as his marriage certificate. His place of birth we've found is taken from what his neighbour stated for George's death certificate. I really can't see how our people came from a hairdresser and perfumer, but maybe I'm wrong. George's age on his marriage certificate doesn't match the birth date on the George we found either. If I could just find his birthdate, and place of birth on some document in this country then we'd have a definite clue. I know George married Ellen Janeway for sure because she's noted as my grandfather's mother on his birth certificate.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Monday 04 June 18 09:36 BST (UK) »
Your having doubts about George again.  ???  I'm sure we have the right man, it was his father that was hairdresser and perfumer, that does'nt mean George will follow. As for the age on wedding cert. I would take that with a pinch of salt, over the years I have seen so many wrong dates usually because they lied about their age. There is that merchant seaman record that I mentioned before but that does'nt give any definite clue's, born 1929 and lives in Derby. Have you checked all the convict records for the time, I had a quick look and did'nt find any. What else does it say on his death cert? Is there a headstone at his burial place? On the birth certs of his children by Ellen is there any additional info?
Sorry to many questions. Day off tomorrow, supplies day.  ;D

Offline Dee Lusional

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Monday 04 June 18 10:18 BST (UK) »
I've had a small seed of doubt about the George we found, even when my distant cousin first told me about him, but he does add up. I understand what you're saying about him probably lying about his age on the marriage certificate - he probably had his reasons. It's just that I can't find any connection for him to the sea. The family believed he came from Devon to Australia, but I can't find any Devon connection to our George.

My cousin sent for his death certificate but she found out that the information on the certificate was given by a neighbour who said George was born in Derby. My cousin felt certain this was our George too.

I don't think there's a headstone, but I'm not sure. It's just that his grave didn't show up in the memorials search, only in the cemetery burials record my cousin found.

The only information on my grandfather's (Walter) birth certificate is George's and Ellen's names, profession of father, and residence of parents.

I haven't checked all the convicts records - it's going to take a lot of time. I'll finish the family tree and sign up with Ancestry.com for a month because I have a German great grandfather on my mum's side to chase up. I want to compile as much information as I can before I sign up so I can get as many details as possible in that time.

Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow. Happy supplies day tomorrow  ;D