Author Topic: James William And Arabella Florence – Early NZ settlers  (Read 4319 times)

Offline Tracey NZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James William And Arabella Florence – Early NZ settlers
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 02 August 18 23:13 BST (UK) »
I have also seen this baptism record and assume that is why the birth date has arisen and has since been taken as 'gospel' by other searchers. James has also been allocated another set of parents in another online site simply because the name 'Payne' appears! ??? Until a family member comes forward with a copy of of a record, as you say, I propose that his parents are 'unknown'. As you have raised, James' first born child to Jane Florance was christened with a middle name 'Pain' and this is the only online record with this name. Another note is that Arabella's impressive memorial monument notes husband "Cpt James Williams". James called himself 'Captain' in his whaling days and this stuck.
I have written a summary about James in an online e-newsletter and can give you if you want to private message me. I also have a very detailed summary from his early whaling days through to his second marriage, and includes the Florances early days in England and Jane's parents who went onto USA (Jane came with the family on the Bolton which is how she met James). :)

Offline Jools

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 03 August 18 00:55 BST (UK) »
Frustratingly, I tried to give you my email address, and rootschat removed it! Is there another way to private message?  You could probably find me on ancestry... hubby's tree is GKWFamTreeMay18, (private)...

What am I missing in regards to James and the "Bolton"?

Oh and the South Australians are having a field day with their online trees that purport their John (son of Samuel) as being born in UK, and confusing Christopher's son Alfred with their Alfred.  I tear my hair out all the time at those who copy family trees without trying to verify a single piece of information. 

I've yet to find Ellen's death in USA... got waylaid last night with Gracie May Day... (gives me the giggles)!

We went to Worth & East Grinstead on our honeymoon... and St Mary's Lambeth (but it was closed for repairs,), and of course, all the Lincolnshire parishes.  I've family on my own side that come from Brixton and etc. and a family at St Sepulchre, so I know the churches, the parishes and places reasonably well, which is handy. Hubby's ancestors and mine cross paths in Norfolk, Lincolnshire, Tasmania, Sydney, Feilding and Bay of Islands... but we don't match on DNA. Phew!!!

I do suspect there is a family bible though... as some trees are *almost* accurate, but purport a day/month and wrong year (when matched to civil/parish records), which is quite typical of oral/family traditions... and/or an Amy instead of Amelia kind of thing.  As if, someone in hindsight, tried to recall the details of their Aunt/Uncle and nearly got it right.  Somewhere out there is the mother lode!!! LOL

J

Online minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 03 August 18 01:37 BST (UK) »
Jools you can exchange messages through the Rootschat private messaging system. Look for the right  hand black circle with the green light in it, on the left of the page, under the number of your posts made [18].......

If unsure what to do, have a look at "HELP" on the brown bar above.

[You should probably also remove the Family Tree contact in your latest message.]

Minniehaha.  :)
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Jools

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 03 August 18 02:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks... but I don't know why I need to remove the reference to our family tree... it's viewable in that format in the public domain!  ???

Online minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 03 August 18 03:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jools,

I'm not 100% positive but have asked a Moderator to clarify. Then we will both know...  :)

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Tracey NZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 03 August 18 07:16 BST (UK) »
Jools
Nice to make contact. Do you think we can discount the birth of:

"James John Payne, born 05/11/1808 in St Sepulchre to father James and mother Hannah"

James John Payne was one of at least four children born between 1796 and 1809 to James and Hannah, with another late comer in 1823! There is a death as follows which could be the same James John Payne?

Name:        James John Payne
Burial:        5/4/1837
Place:         St Sepulchre, London

Offline Jools

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 03 August 18 07:35 BST (UK) »
No age given at the death????

I think we stick to "parents unknown", and hope we can find the person, somewhere, somehow, who first promulgated *that* date of birth for James. 

Begs the question, that even if he did add WILLIAMS for a logical reason, why would he drop the John? 

1841 Census of London for a publican and carrier of suitable age as his father would be nice!!!

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 03 August 18 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Jools,

We remove email addresses because RootsChat is public forum, if you reveal your email address it is likely to be picked up by spammer. As Minihaha has correctly said, to send a pm you click on the round dark button below the persons name to send private information that can only be viewed by them.

For further Help click on "Help" and then near the top you will see
"How can I send a private message to a RootsChat member ?" and it takes you this page

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk