Author Topic: Trying to locate the parents of JAMES ESHERWOOD...  (Read 5498 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to locate the parents of JAMES ESHERWOOD...
« Reply #27 on: Monday 28 May 18 11:30 BST (UK) »
I wonder if 'Ellen' is the Ellen Isherwood bc.1863, died June quarter 1875 St Albans, Hertfordshire.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 28 May 18 11:51 BST (UK) »
After doing a bit of researching last night I realised that the family name probably should be Isherwood and not Esherwood. It looks like the Esherwood name actually began with my Great Great Grandfather and his brothers when they were enrolled at the Industrial School.

The 1871 census has the family living together in Westminster, but by 1881 the father had died and the mother was in a workhouse (dying herself later that year). The boys were then sent to an industrial school in Essex. I cannot seem to locate what happened to Ellen who would have been 18 at this point.

It seemed after this that James and John joined the army, and I can trace their lives from here.

The son Bennett Iím still looking into but he died in Grimsby in 1913.

I have no idea what happened to Ellen. I can not locate her at all but she is named as a next of kin on the youngest brother (John) army service record. She is not named on my Jamesí (which I find a bit odd as his brothers are named - and surely she wouldnít be on the youngest brothersí record if she had died as James joined up first).

I cannot seem to locate a marriage record forBennett and Catherine, nor any birth records for their children.

A possible birth record for John was found by rosie99 at reply #10 (motherís maiden name Donovan).

I would expect a Catherine Donovan to be Catholic - if so, baptisms are likely to be hard to come by as few Catholic records have been made available for digitisation.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Autumn9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 28 May 18 14:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help with this, I will sit down tonight and go through all the information thoroughly.

I have managed to find the burial place of James today, and heís not too far from me so I have been to visit. Makes it more Ďrealí when you actually see where ancestors lived and are buried. Itís all so interesting. My main aim for researching isnít to go back as far as I can (although I do want to do this as much as I can of course) but I want to find out exactly about their whole lives and how they lived etc.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 28 May 18 15:55 BST (UK) »
You have to feel for Catherine, life dealt her a cruel hand. Bennett being variously described as a hawker & musician (& possibly in & out of prison) sounds like he was a street musician so pickings would have been frugal & erratic & they would have been living in the poorest accommodation.
After his death Catherine most likely took in washing to try & make ends meet until ill health put a stop to it.
Being in & out of the Workhouse Infirmary meant the children most likely had to fend for themselves & that's why they were put into an Industrial school.
A far cry from her life in Brighton.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 28 May 18 16:37 BST (UK) »

Yes, Bennett ESHERWOOD, 91 Thorold Street, Great Grimsby, Lincolnshire, died 1913.
Wills Calendar index (1858 to 1996) - Probate to Eva McFall (Wife of Thomas McFall).

Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 29 December 1908

Bennett Esherwood, a Grimsby engineer, went into a plumberís shop on Christmas Eve to buy a gas-fitting, and being in one of those moods induced by over-indulgence in drink, he flung a puzzle-purse on the counter and defied the shopkeeper to get his pay out of it.  The plumber tried hard, and broke a stud off the purse, whereat the engineer went away muttering.  In half and hour he returned, calmly unlaced his boots, put one on each hand glove-fashion, and then deliberately smashed every pane of glass in the shop front.

Yesterday he admitted the folly of his behaviour at the Police Court, and undertook to pay the £2 damage and 8s costs.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Autumn9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 28 May 18 17:42 BST (UK) »
You have to feel for Catherine, life dealt her a cruel hand. Bennett being variously described as a hawker & musician (& possibly in & out of prison) sounds like he was a street musician so pickings would have been frugal & erratic & they would have been living in the poorest accommodation.
After his death Catherine most likely took in washing to try & make ends meet until ill health put a stop to it.
Being in & out of the Workhouse Infirmary meant the children most likely had to fend for themselves & that's why they were put into an Industrial school.
A far cry from her life in Brighton.

When I looked into James and his first wife Sarah, it appears that they lived in the poorest area of Whitechapel (around the same area Catherine would have lived previously), and at the same time and place that Jack the Ripper was about.

Although James was never had much money, And he wasnt born into the best life, he certainly turned it around for himself during his later years.

Offline Autumn9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 28 May 18 17:43 BST (UK) »

Oh interesting!! Thank you!

Yes, Bennett ESHERWOOD, 91 Thorold Street, Great Grimsby, Lincolnshire, died 1913.
Wills Calendar index (1858 to 1996) - Probate to Eva McFall (Wife of Thomas McFall).

Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 29 December 1908

Bennett Esherwood, a Grimsby engineer, went into a plumberís shop on Christmas Eve to buy a gas-fitting, and being in one of those moods induced by over-indulgence in drink, he flung a puzzle-purse on the counter and defied the shopkeeper to get his pay out of it.  The plumber tried hard, and broke a stud off the purse, whereat the engineer went away muttering.  In half and hour he returned, calmly unlaced his boots, put one on each hand glove-fashion, and then deliberately smashed every pane of glass in the shop front.

Yesterday he admitted the folly of his behaviour at the Police Court, and undertook to pay the £2 damage and 8s costs.