Author Topic: Mackay (tailors)dingwall  (Read 2520 times)

Offline Heather Fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mackay (tailors)dingwall
« on: Sunday 27 May 18 21:45 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on The mackay  family from gairloch who ran a meal mill there in the nineteenth century.Some of the family moved to dingwall in Ross and formatting the 1900's.I believe there was a business in dingwall which was a tailors or a clothes shop maybe both referred to as makay the tailors.Thanks for any help

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Mackay (tailors)dingwall
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 May 18 23:20 BST (UK) »
The mackay  family from gairloch

No christian names etc provided to help in any search.

The 1901 has a John Mackay b 1860 Dingwall living with mother Eliza and he was a tailor

More info please
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Heather Fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 May 18 15:14 BST (UK) »
The family I am looking for are a Thomas mackay  b 1875 at second coast gairloch  and his brother Ronald who d at 5 niclols court in 1942. Not the mackay family of tailors i don't think but the mackay  tailors were cousins of my grandmother.Thanks for looking even if I'm not much to you.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 May 18 15:20 BST (UK) »
The family I am looking for are a Thomas mackay  b 1875 at second coast gairloch
who were his parents?
and his brother Ronald who d at 5 niclols court in 1942.
Is this Nicol's Court? Where is it?

Not the mackay family of tailors i don't think
If you are not looking for the Mackay tailors why have you headed your thread "Mackay (tailors)"?

Thanks for looking even if I'm not much to you.
What do you mean, 'not much to you'?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Heather Fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 May 18 15:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry about that nicol s court is in dingwall.Thought that the mackay  family from gairloch were the family of tailors but I seem to have the wrong family according to my grandmother her cousin had a tailors shop in dingwal and they were supposed to have come from the Loch broom area although gairloch  is not in Loch broom other family came from lochbroom.I meant to say I'm not helping beaches i don't know much about the tailors business or who the mackays were

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 May 18 16:19 BST (UK) »
I don't understand 'not helping beaches'.

However there is a family at Miller's House, Ullapool, Lochbroom in the 1881 census
Ronald McKay, head, 47, millwright and miller, born Ullapool
Flora McKay, wife, 30, born Aultbea
Children Ann, 11; Maggie, 9; Thomas, 6; Flora, 3; and Ronald, 2; all born Ullapool. Is this the family you are interested in?

There are births of Thomas Mackay in 1875 and Ronald Mackay in 1879 in Lochbroom. Second Coast is not in the parish of Lochbroom, therefore Thomas was not born at Second Coast. So if this is the miller you are looking for, they were not from Gairloch, apart from Flora sr who was born Flora Forbes in Aultbea which is in the parish of Gairloch. Ann Mackay's birth on 8 August 1870 was registered in both Gairloch and Lochbroom so it looks as if Flora went home to her mother for the birth of her first child. This was quite common.

You have not said when the Mackay tailors you are not interested in who are your grandmother's cousins were in Dingwall. This is essential information because Mackay is a very common surname and you will need names and dates in order to sort them all out.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Heather Fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 14:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking .That family I know off .Flora was evicted from her mill but the crofters  commission said she would have to be reinstated til they ruled on the matter.Sorry I don't know anything about the mackay  tailors.Will have to do some more research.All i know is that they were supposed to have come from ullappol.Thanks again for trying .

Offline Heather Fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 July 18 19:52 BST (UK) »
I believe I have found the mackay  family who were tailors in dingwall.Have found that Ronald mackay  was a tailor .His mother was flora Forbes from the forbes family who were millers.He was born in 1879 in ullapool.In 1932 he was living at 5 nicols  court in dingwall  He had three sons Thomas  Alexander and norman a daughter flora All born in dingwall.I believe the son norman  was a plumber.He died in ullapool in 1962.