Author Topic: Marriage Look-up please  (Read 3618 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Look-up please
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 31 May 18 00:27 BST (UK) »
DUH - missed that one - sorry!!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 31 May 18 00:49 BST (UK) »
There is a possible death
Mar qtr 1971  Gloucester C vol 7b p1158 HOLTHAM George Frederick, born 17Au1884
but without more information I have no idea if this is connected.

George Frederick Holtham married Norah Kembery Berry  in Gloucs 1910 and she only died in 1966

Well, it was a long shot!
So what happened to George HOLTOM/HOLTHAM who, if he was 29 in 1915, should have been born c1885-86?
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 31 May 18 01:29 BST (UK) »
There is a death in 1958 Cheltenham for George Holtham born about 1885
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 31 May 18 02:09 BST (UK) »
The 1916 Marriage is Elham Registration District not Elham parish.  Elham PRs are held at Canterbury Archives and have been on FindMyPast for a number of years.  There is no marriage for Herbert Emery Smith appearing in the parish from a search on FindMyPast.  The page number on the BMD index entry is high so could be register office, non-conformist chapel or less likely a parish which hasn't deposited its PRs yet for then.  You would need to purchase the marriage certificate to confirm the details.

For information, the Kent PRs due on FindMyPast from later this year are from Kent County Archives at Maidstone and mainly cover the west of the county (but not all as there are three other Archives covering that area too not including parishes now part of London and held at the London Metropolitan Archives).
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 31 May 18 02:46 BST (UK) »
Suspect the 1916 marriage was in a Register Office especially with Herbert Emery Smith being a Canadian - as wartime probably by licence.  As already said, only way to get the details is by purchasing the certificate.

Think I could have identified George Holtom (as he signed) bc.1886, son of John.

The spelling of surname varies in the various records - birth reg'd as Holton (mmn Hunt) in Mar.qtr.1886 Northleach, baptised 24/2/1886 Turkdean, as Holtum (parents John Holtum and Dinah Hunt shown as living together but not married).1891 Census as Holtom, 1901 and 1911 as Holton although latter mistranscribed I think.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 31 May 18 03:09 BST (UK) »
Priscilla Smith 23 with daughter Edna 2 arrived in Quebec on 6/7/1919 on the 'Metagama' - destination Toronto.

Priscilla and daughter (un-named) left the UK on 27/6/1919 - Ancestry's transcribed index just shows both as simply 'Smith' but original passenger list shows Priscilla was named.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline tillyc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 02 June 18 14:25 BST (UK) »
Well you have been busy in my absence - Sorry I didn't get back to you with the marriage details something urgent came up.

Everything that has been recorded is exactly what I have in my file...  Annette you are again spot on with your detective work. 

In my original post I have the date of the marriage (taken from the ancestry tree) which also states that the marriage took place in July 1916 at All Saints Church, Cheritona St., Folkestone.  It looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get the certificate...

Thank you to everyone who has helped with this puzzle.