Author Topic: Marriage lookup Adamson Gibson, Newcastle  (Read 1656 times)

Offline CCJOHN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage lookup Adamson Gibson, Newcastle
« on: Tuesday 29 May 18 15:36 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the marriage record of James Adamson and Norah Winifred Gibson, June 1920.  Free BMD has the registration district as Newcastle. I would be grateful if anyone can help.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage lookup Adamson Gibson, Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
It would be helpful if you could give more information such as religion and where they might have lived.  Newcastle registration district has umpteen Churches so it would help to have home location to narrow things down. :)

Otherwise, a search could take a whole day or two. :-\

Then it might be discovered they married at registry office. ;D ;D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 16:03 BST (UK) »
I had a look in the available online newspapers and can't see an announcement.
Only the GRO index entry showing on Family Search.
The Northumberland and Durham marriages database doesn't cover anything this recent.
Newcastle Registrars search on their site does not bring this marriage up and even if it did, they no longer tell you where  the couple married, they just let you order a copy cert ( and charge £11 whereas the GRO charge is £9.25)

Given how 'recent' the date is, a transcript is very unlikely to be available online.
There are too many churches and its too great a time span (searching 3 months of every church register in the area may still not get a result if they married in a Register Office) making it a big task to do a look up.
I think your best bet would be a copy certificate from the GRO.

Boo

Offline CCJOHN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 17:04 BST (UK) »
As far as I know they lived in Heaton and later Walkergate and I believe the date of the marriage was 21st June 1920.

Thank you for help.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 08:31 BST (UK) »
Could you possibly provide the last street names in Heaton before they married and the street they lived in in Walker after marriage?  This could narrow down there home turf and could possibly make a look up a little easier. :)

Also, can you confirm that this is an ancestor?  I only attempt look ups for people who are researching own ancestors or helping out voluntarily and not paid researchers.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline CCJOHN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 09:08 BST (UK) »
Norah Gibson lived in Balmoral  Terrace, Heaton, before the marriage and then at Laurel Crescent, Walkerville after her marriage. I do not know where James Adamson lived before the marriage.

These people are my grandparents on my mothers side of the family.

Once again thank you for your time and help.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 14:09 BST (UK) »
I looked at Electrol Rolls;
1929 James/Norah are together, 1935 she is alone.

So possible Death Reg for James  Dec 1934 age 45 (1889)
No exact birth date given on Anc.

Norah Winifred Adamson
Birth   
08/04/1899
Death   
09/1980 North Tyneside Tyne and Wear England

Norah is easy to find 1901/1911;

1901 Census
James Gibson, 40
Ann Gibson, 38
Arthur S Gibson, 14
Nora W Gibson, 1

Norahs GRO Birth Reg has her Mothers maiden name as GOUDIE 
James/Ann married 1885 (FreeBMD)

If James was born Northumberland there appears to be one that is likely illeg born c 1890 Alnwick 1891/1901 Census.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 18:49 BST (UK) »
I will try to work out possible nearby churches when I get time which I think needs to be the first step.

The postcode for this street before marriage seems to be NE6 5YA.  There is a St Gabriel nearby but I don't think the archives hold the record for this one. :-[

I presume it would be a Chuch of England marriage?

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 19:05 BST (UK) »
There are too many churches and its too great a time span (searching 3 months of every church register in the area may still not get a result if they married in a Register Office) making it a big task to do a look up.
I think your best bet would be a copy certificate from the GRO.

I do agree with Boo on this one. Any register would have to be searched for a three month period, assuming you know which one to search in the first place and that the relevant registers have been deposited at the archives  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk