Author Topic: Re: Augustus Edward Chandos Leigh Stanton  (Read 1251 times)

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Augustus Edward Chandos Leigh Stanton
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 22:35 BST (UK) »
For what it’s worth it seems to me unlikely that Adolphus was named “after” Edward b 1832, who would only have been a teenager at the time of his birth.  The newspapers of the 1830s-1840s contain many references to Edward’s father Chandos Leigh Esq (1791-1850 - later Lord Leigh, 1st Baron Leigh) of Stoneleigh Abbey.  Perhaps he was well-known and the Stantons simply heard of him/his family and liked “Chandos Leigh” as a name combination, with posh/aspirational overtones.  Or perhaps there was a genuine family link evidencd by James’ middle name Leigh.
It is your very last sentence, which is the purpose of my question. My connection is through Edward Leigh Pearson b1811. He is my 2x GG. His mother was Sarah Stanton, hence the link with the Stanton’s. I do not think that it was just a whim to call Aldophus by the full name of Lord Leigh’s 2nd son or that my 2x GG was named Edward Leigh, which was the name of the owner of the Stoneleigh Estate, who died without issue in the late 1700’s and created a huge dispute about the ownership of the estate, which went to the High Court.