Author Topic: Disbanding of 3/10th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment, WW1  (Read 2379 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Disbanding of 3/10th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment, WW1
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 17:35 GMT (UK) »
I called my great-uncle today, who said that his dad was also present at the Battle of Passchendaele. Can anyone see where the 18th and 3/10th battalions where during this time? It might help chronologically in determining when he was with which battalion.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Not that simple.  There were two Battles of Passchendaele (October and October/November) (ie encounters later given those names) but a number of battles between July and November 1917 before and after are usually named as "part of the Battle of Passchendaele"

3/10th Bn joined 4th Division in August and took part in the battle of Polygon Wood in late September and subsequent phases including 1st Passchendaele.

18th Battalion in 33rd Division was engaged in the Battle of the Menin Road Ridge and Polygon Wood in September/early October.  Significantly, after Polygon Wood, 33 Div had suffered so many casualties that they were withdrawn

The overlap when both battalions could be said to have been at the battle of Passchendaele at the same time would be Polygon Wood.  If the reference is specifically to 1st Passchendaele or 2nd Passchendaele then that would mean 3/10th Battalion.

On balance I'd say that the reference is to 3/10th Battalion.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Max!
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 11 January 19 14:45 GMT (UK) »
He also said about a ‘commendation’ following disabling a German machine gun while on a patrol. Could this be a reference to being mentioned in despatches? I’m sure someone on here said that he wasn’t mentioned but I can’t remember for sure.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 11 January 19 19:20 GMT (UK) »
There were commendations made by the General Officer Commanding the Division or the Brigade which were basically one level below an MID.  There is no sign of an MID in the London Gazette or elsewhere, a GOC's commendation was not published outside the formation.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 11 January 19 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Max! That clears that up.