Author Topic: MINNS family Heigham area  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Heatha

• RootsChat Senior
  • Best friend
    • View Profile
MINNS family Heigham area
« on: Wednesday 30 May 18 18:40 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any MINNS connections from the Heigham area ? I have a Robert Marsh MINNS born 23rd December 1834 and baptised at Heigham son of David and Bridget MINNS (née SPALDING).

I believe that David was born in Heigham on 19th January 1799, the son of David and Hannah MINNS (née MARSH).

There the trail runs dry. I have found a baptism for a Hannah MIMMS, daughter of David and Hannah MIMMS (née MARSH), born 21st February 1792 at Heigham, which would suggest that David and Hannah were married before that date. Further births are recorded of Sarah MIMMS, 15th November 1793, and David MIMMS, 5th January 1797, with the same parents. Also a burial at Heigham of an infant David MINNS, son of and David and Hannah (née MARSH), 3rd January 1798.

If anyone can help me find David senior and/or Hannah's parents I would be most grateful. Suggestions most welcome.

I have a boat load of MINNS in my tree from Broome and wonder if there might be a connection .....
LAY - HAM, BKM
SARGENT - SFK
THAIN - NFK, SFK, YKS
DEAN - YKS
WAGER- YKS
HARRIS - BKM
SIMMS - BKM
and lots more besides

Offline kaysii

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MINNS family Heigham area
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Records in Heigham are a bit difficult as church records were destroyed in a fire. I know it doesn't help you very much, but I think the David who was married to Bridget was born 22 June 1815 to Robert Minns and Mary Kett and was baptised in Heigham. This would fit in with the census results for the couple in 1851 and 1861 which gives his birthdate at around 1816. I am sure it does not help you any further because the David who is married to Hannah is probably a relative (eg.brother) to Robert. David b. 1815 had a brother Robert Marsh born 1 April 1802. Robert and Mary were married in Heigham 19 October 1801. A Mary Minns dies aged 49 in 1829 which if she is the Mary Kett  would make her born about 1780.

There is another Robert Marsh Minns who was born in 1776 in Hethersett to a David and Hannah Minns. It is a good chance that he is the Robert who marries Mary Kett as the name Robert Marsh keeps appearing.  There is a Mary Kett born to a Hannah Kett in Heigham in 1780.
Regards Kaysii

Offline Heatha

• RootsChat Senior
  • Best friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 May 18 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hello, Kaysii,

Thank you for your thoughts. That is amazingly helpful and I agree about Mary KETT.

I am still working on this and probably will be for some time to come so all thoughts/help are welcome.

Kind regards,

Heatha
LAY - HAM, BKM
SARGENT - SFK
THAIN - NFK, SFK, YKS
DEAN - YKS
WAGER- YKS
HARRIS - BKM
SIMMS - BKM
and lots more besides

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 June 18 06:12 BST (UK) »
Norfolk Family History Society Transcriptions.
The Robert Marsh Minns born 23 December 1834 son of David and Bridget was baptized at St Martin
at Oak Norwich, on 18 January 1835. Not Heigham

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 June 18 09:38 BST (UK) »
ROBERT MASH Minns (how its transcribed0 Widower, married Ann CLARK, Widow, 13 Nov 1831

Robert/Ann are on the 1851/1861 Census. He is born c 1777 Hethersett.

DAVID Minns was buried Heigham 13 Sep 1835 age 84  (abode St Martin at Oak)
(c 1751)

DAVID Minns 1799 married Hannah ADCOCK 05 Sep 1817

Source FreeREG

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 June 18 09:57 BST (UK) »
Only David Minns/Hannah Marsh marriage I can find is 20 Feb 1775
St Mary, Newington Southwark, Surrey, England
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Heatha

• RootsChat Senior
  • Best friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 June 18 15:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your help. I am most grateful.  :)
LAY - HAM, BKM
SARGENT - SFK
THAIN - NFK, SFK, YKS
DEAN - YKS
WAGER- YKS
HARRIS - BKM
SIMMS - BKM
and lots more besides

Offline kaysii

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 June 18 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Don't know if you have noticed, but the Hannah who was married to David Minns was probably living in 1841. She is living with a James and Elizabeth Morrison on Cross Lane, St George's Colegate. James Morrison married Elizabeth Minns in Heigham 17 Oct 1806.  I can't find a baptism for Elizabeth, but that may be because of Heigham records being incomplete. Hannah has an estimated birth of around 1758. There is a Hannah Marsh baptised in Hellesdon to parents Robert and Hannah Marsh 18 February 1759.  A Robert Marsh was married to a Hannah Piggin in Hellesdon 25 Feb 1758. He is a widower and farmer and dies in 1762. Hannah is from Bawburgh. Mary Minns, sister of Robert Marsh Minns (b1776 in Hethersett) was baptised in Bawburgh in 1778 so it makes me think that this could be the right Hannah)

A David Minns aged 84 was buried 13 September 1835 in Heigham, he was resident St Martins at Oak. He could be the David Minns born to John and Elizabeth Minns in Hethersett in 1755 baptised 5 September.  A John Minns from Hethersett married an Elizabeth Reynolds from Hethersett on 4 Sep 1736 at St Stephens in Norwich. They had several children thereafter in Hethersett: John, Elizabeth Robert, David Susan/Susanna, Esther/Hester born between 1737 and 1755

I think John Minns is likely to be the child of a John and Susannah Minns. I have not found a baptism for John but there are children, Elizabeth, Robert, David, Esther and Hannah born to them in Wymondham between 1713 and 1723. A Susana Scarling marries a John Minns 14 July 1711, St Stephens, Norwich. Maybe they were not of age and married in the city. They give their parish as Wootton which could either be Woodton in South Norfolk or Wootton near Kings Lynn.

There is an Elizabeth Reynolds born to a Robert and Mary Reynolds in Hackford near Wymondham, baptised 15 September 1717 This is not so far from Hethersett. As she would not be of age it may be a reason why they've got married in the city.  Hope this is of some help.

Offline Jacminns

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 November 20 18:41 GMT (UK) »
This is also my husbands Minns line   

He is descended from Robert Minns (1802 Heigham) and Ann Loader

Robert was the son of Robert Marsh Minns (1776) and Mary Kett
> David Minns (1755)  & Hannah Marsh
> John Minns (1716) & Elizabeth Reynolds
> Williams Minns (1690) & Susan ?

From Robert leaving Heigham not 2 generations have been born in the same city!!

Robert was a railway engine driver hence the move around UK a he died in Islington 1871.  Ann was 18 years younger and they had 12 children ...