Author Topic: Carruthers, Williamina (Inah) and her Twin Jane Birth /Bapt 1834/1838  (Read 2332 times)

Offline sheila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Carruthers, Williamina (Inah) and her Twin Jane Birth /Bapt 1834/1838
« on: Thursday 31 May 18 10:25 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me find the birth or bapt.  of these twins please?

Williamina and Jane Carruthers born in 1834 . The family say in Ecclefechan. Various censuses give Kirkpatrick Flemming as place of birth . The twin's surname was changed to Wilkinson and they were living in Cumberland after the 1841 census and they were both working as servants on the 1851 census

Their unmarried mother was Agnes Carruthers  daughter of William Carruthers who was  toll-bar keeper, Gretna Green in 1846. 

I'm also looking for suggestions as to where I can find out more about the toll-bars in Gretna. Was there more than one? Is there a list of Toll bar keepers I can look up  ?

Burgess-Essex , London
Shelton, Hiett, Gould, Gallagher, Herrington- London.
Wilson, Hertfordshire, London.
Carruthers, Spedding , Wilkinson , Harrison , Wilson, Lamb, Bell, Mather, Dumfriesshire , cUMBERLAND
Straughan, Frater, Wilson, Adams, Miller, Atkinson, Stewart, Urwin, Newton - Northumberland
Oxford, Garrard - Sufolk
Kirtland, Burnard - Oxon
Bird, Cook, Carter, Turpin, Cousins- Essex
Monaghan- Sligo, Northumberland
Burrowes-Oxon , London
Rose, Bucks,O

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carruthers, Williamina (Inah) and her Twin Jane Birth /Bapt 1834/1838
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 July 18 11:51 BST (UK) »
I note the marriage on SP but no trace of baptisms:

CARRUTHERS   AGNES   JOHN WILKINSON   27/06/1848   Annan

Some information on Toll Bars:

https://wanderersintimeandplace.wordpress.com/2014/06/30/the-old-toll-bar-gretna-scotland/

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline sheila

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 July 18 12:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Colin. I'm trying to distinguish between the old toll bar Gretna on the  site you gave me  as I think there was another Gretna Toll Bar. I can find very little on line about the toll bars apart from references to marriages.

Sadly to say that marriage can't be the Agnes Carruthers that I am looking for as Agnes was transported to Tasmania in 1847 for killing her new born baby. She had previously been acquitted of a similar offence in 1841/2 so I think it was about this time that the twins were taken from her and sent to relatives called Wilkinson in Cumberland. They both gave William Wilkinson as their father on their marriage certificates.

A mixed up family. I do appreciate your help .

Sheila

Burgess-Essex , London
Shelton, Hiett, Gould, Gallagher, Herrington- London.
Wilson, Hertfordshire, London.
Carruthers, Spedding , Wilkinson , Harrison , Wilson, Lamb, Bell, Mather, Dumfriesshire , cUMBERLAND
Straughan, Frater, Wilson, Adams, Miller, Atkinson, Stewart, Urwin, Newton - Northumberland
Oxford, Garrard - Sufolk
Kirtland, Burnard - Oxon
Bird, Cook, Carter, Turpin, Cousins- Essex
Monaghan- Sligo, Northumberland
Burrowes-Oxon , London
Rose, Bucks,O

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 July 18 16:50 BST (UK) »
If the minutes of the kirk session for the parish survive, it is likely that the twins' birth will have been investigated by the elders and the father named.