Author Topic: Southend-on-Sea burials help please?  (Read 3157 times)

Offline Trixie_au

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Southend-on-Sea burials help please?
« on: Friday 01 June 18 01:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, I’m hoping to find the burial place of my gt-gt-grandparents who lived, and died, in Southend-on Sea. They lived in Harcourt Avenue, so Im wondering if maybe they're buried in the North Road Cemetery as its just around the corner. But I have a note from my grandmother which says her grandmother is in Prittlewell Cemetery, Southend-on-Sea, but i cant work out what Cem that even is...!! The church they attended when my grandmother was growing up was St Mary's, Prittlewell. And now I’ve been told that Sutton Road Cemetery is ‘the big one’ so they’re most likely there. I just don’t know where to start to find this out. I ordered death certificates, but burial info isn’t recorded.

Is there any way to access burial indexes of the local cemeteries to see where they actually are buried please? I’m in Australia, so it’s all a bit confusing to try wrap my head around the local area there.

Robert Alexander Whitchelo - d. 19 Jun 1947
Jane Anna Florinda Whitchelo - d. 23 Feb 1943

Thanks for any and all help!

(*edited because I had Roberts names around the wrong way)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Southend-on-Sea burials help please?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 June 18 01:57 BST (UK) »
Alexander Robert Whitchelo -it seems you have his names the wrong way round?
His birth was registered as Robert Alexander Witchelo - he was Robert Alexander on marriage and on his child's baptism and on his death reg and his probate record

Prittlewell Cemetery is described as " North Rd (Prittlewell Cemetery) Westcliffe on Sea

information is
www.southendtimeline.com/prittlewellchapels.htm

there are some images of the cemetery online too

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Trixie_au

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 June 18 02:10 BST (UK) »
Oops, sorry you’re right. I was looking at his name as I wrote it and didn’t realise I’d put it the wrong way around! Thanks suzard! Yes Robert Alexander. I’ll edit my orig post now so as not to confuse :)

Ahh so North Road Cem is Prittlewell Cem - that’s great info, thank you!! I’d googled for ‘Prittlewell Cemetery’ and ended up somewhere entirely different. So based on my grandmothers recollections, I need to be looking for burial and headstone info for North Road Cem.. would you maybe know where to find this?

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 June 18 03:12 BST (UK) »
you may find something at
https:/billiongraves.com/cemetery/North-Road-Burial-Ground/276679

if you put sea of change north road cemetery southend on sea into a search engine you should find photographs of the cemetery

Your family may /may not have a headstone

Hope this helps
(strangely I was in Southend for a few days last week ( I do live 170 miles away but visit occasionally!)

Suz

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline Trixie_au

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 June 18 04:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Suz, have found the photo's you mentioned. Lovely to see.  :)

There's nothing on billiongraves, and nothing on findagrave either unfortunately.

My grandmother went home to England in 1978 and cleaned the headstone, so i know it was definitely there 40 years ago, whether it still is today is what I'd really love to know. She never told me exactly which Cemetery they were in, but it was amongst her research notes that I found the reference to them being in the "Prittlewell Cemetery" - but all i could find was Sutton Road and North Road Cem's. Wish I could ask her more...!! Robert & Jane raised my grandmother after her mother (their daughter) died of the spanish flu epidemic when my grandmother was just a baby. I was very close to my grandmother, so finding them means a lot to me, as they meant a lot to her.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 June 18 04:16 BST (UK) »
I will try to find out more information during next week

At our local cemetery they are very good if you request the whereabouts of a grave and say when you are visiting they put a cone by the grave (even if no headstone is there) -maybe they have something similar

Suz

Offline Trixie_au

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 June 18 04:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you, i appreciate that!

That's a great idea re the cone next to the grave, makes it a lot easier.

im having trouble finding contact info for the North Road Burial Ground. I found a snail-mail address, but could take weeks from Australia to get a reply. Was hoping for an email address, but can't come up with anything!!

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 June 18 04:31 BST (UK) »
I'll try and phone first -but it won't be until after the weekend

Suz

Offline Trixie_au

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 June 18 04:36 BST (UK) »
thank you so much, thats really kind of you! Thank you!!