Author Topic: Unusual to me 50 year old family negatives  (Read 1900 times)

Offline patmar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unusual to me 50 year old family negatives
« on: Friday 01 June 18 20:16 BST (UK) »
About 4 years ago found stack of negatives and bought a scanning gadget that did a great job. Vast majority of the negatives were the usual brown plastic type but a batch of about 30 with a total of 70 individual photos were a paper material. Scanned them with the gadget but end product was very poor, blurred snowy look. Not the most important photos in the world and out of 10 to 12 family members in them most are still alive though a lot older, this of course means I cannot ask Rootschat Restoration folk to help. Have actually scanned the negs on to this computer and would love to post one aa a sample but rules are rules. Any ideas on what I can do to get prints please

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual to me 50 year old family negatives
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 June 18 18:46 BST (UK) »
I think what you may have are negatives supplied by a firm called Gratispool who if i'm not mistaken had a base in Glasgow.  They advertised a free black and white film with every film they developed and printed.  The negatives they returned to the customer were made on a low cost light sensitive paper. This made it probably virtually impossible for people to take their paper negative to their local chemist, there by locking people into the Gratispool system.  I used them a lot and they provided a good service.

Check out the link,    https://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Gratispool.html

As for scanning them some say you can scan in reflective mode then invert them using Photoshop
 Another method is to either oil the negative or to wax it on the back then scan, i think mineral oil is suitable.  Good luck
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.