Author Topic: Amusing tree on Ancestry  (Read 6302 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Amusing tree on Ancestry
« on: Sunday 03 June 18 10:24 BST (UK) »
Researching a difficult branch of my husband’s tree last night, I found a link to another tree including the lady I was looking for.

Starts off fine, living in Pontypridd, south Wales, has Mary Ann married to her first husband, though no source, and the family in 1881 and 1891, but then I realised that she also had her married to 4 other husbands, all at the same time, producing 65 children between 1872 and 1899 🤔

The tree has her marrying a David Williams in 1879, a Gomer Williams in 1880 and a James S Williams in 1881, despite the attached 1881 census showing her as married to her actual husband Isaac Andrew Williams. She then has her marrying another David Williams in 1886.

The tree has her actual husband Isaac Andrew Williams emigrating to Canada, and marrying an Anna Williams in Ontario in 1870, back in Stockton on Tees, Durham by the 1871 census, in Pontypridd (correct) in 1881 and 1891, and dying in Ontario in 1922 (he really died in Pontypridd in 1902).

Her ancestry profile (from Australia) says she’s a beginner, but that her tree is not copied from anywhere, is all her own work, from 8-12 hours research a day 🙄 Amazingly she has old family photos, but i’m guessing they are the Canadian side, and not those from Pontypridd.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Amusing tree on Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 June 18 10:37 BST (UK) »
I can't comment on this tree, but it doesn't surprise me. I've been researching for decades (pre-Internet) but only recently started looking at Ancestry trees.  What I have found is often very poor stuff, with impossible 'facts' not backed up with any source references.  I feel it's usually a waste of valuable research time to consult these trees.  Also, why do they have so many people aged 100+?!!

Treat with extreme caution, I'd say.

Melbell  :(

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 June 18 10:39 BST (UK) »
Her ancestry profile (from Australia) says she’s a beginner, but that her tree is not copied from anywhere, is all her own work, from 8-12 hours research a day 🙄

It sounds as though she definitely needs to join Rootschat!

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 June 18 10:50 BST (UK) »
Very funny Deirdre , that lady must have been worn out !  ;D

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 June 18 10:51 BST (UK) »
I can't comment on this tree, but it doesn't surprise me. I've been researching for decades (pre-Internet) but only recently started looking at Ancestry trees.  What I have found is often very poor stuff, with impossible 'facts' not backed up with any source references.  I feel it's usually a waste of valuable research time to consult these trees.  Also, why do they have so many people aged 100+?!!

Treat with extreme caution, I'd say.

Melbell  :(

I wasn’t planning on adding anything from there to my tree, just amused by it. Have seen some where the children are born before their parents, but this combination seemed totally illogical.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 June 18 12:28 BST (UK) »
Many Ancestry trees make fictional cartoons and horror movies look realistic. People marrying in infancy and people who were born in the 1600s on the 1851 census etc.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 June 18 12:38 BST (UK) »
Have just had a little browse.... one of the ‘marriages’ produced 31 children, including 5 born in 1880, no quarter or source, but all listed as born in different places in Glamorgan, two of which i’ve never heard of. Profile says she has lots more to add to her tree (I hope not on this branch!).

Can’t trace it down to see if she is actually descended from any of this ‘family’, but may message her to suggest, nicely, that she may like to re-examine this family group.

The real Mary Ann Williams (nee Rowlands) was still alive in 1911 in Pontypridd, widowed, but saying 11 children, 7 still alive, 4 have died.

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 June 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
Maybe she is having a bit of fun ? Waiting to see if anyone copies her impossible tree?  ;D
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 June 18 13:14 BST (UK) »
Can’t trace it down to see if she is actually descended from any of this ‘family’, but may message her to suggest, nicely, that she may like to re-examine this family group.

It will be interesting to see if she replies!  ;D  She could, as a beginner, not realise that hints on Ancestry are just that, hints. She may think that because they come from a subscription site, they must be right.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk