Author Topic: Help request for Sommerville and Irvine families  (Read 929 times)

Offline Danu13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help request for Sommerville and Irvine families
« on: Sunday 03 June 18 17:46 BST (UK) »
Respectfully requesting help with some of my Scottish ancestors:  (3g grandparents) John Irvrine and Susan Sommerville; and (4g grandparents) George Sommerville and Grace. I don’t have access to full images of Scottish records, but, from what I have gathered, Susan Sommerville, age 17, resided as a boarder in Hutchesontown, Lanarkshire. Then ten years later, 1861 census, same location, she is listed as Susan Irvine, age 27, with two daughters, Grace, age 9, and Eliza J., age 5. I would love to learn the full details from those census records and if she lived with or close by any Irvines or Sommervilles with whom she might be connected. A marriage record, dated 21 Oct 1851, in Middle Church, Paisley Renfrew, Scotland, shows Susan Sommerville marrying a John Irvine (both age 19). From the marriage record and census records, her birth year would be between 1832-1834. I know nothing more about John Irvine and wonder what happened to him. In 1866, Susan Irvine arrived in America (with her two daughters and no husband), and in 1867, she married again. On her 1867 marriage record, Susan gave the names of her parents as George Sommerville and Grace. I haven’t found anything on George or Grace, but assume they also resided in Scotland and possibly from the same area as Susan. Any help with Susan, her parents, George Sommerville and Grace, or her husband John Irvine would be greatly appreciated!

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Help request for Sommerville and Irvine families
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 June 18 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi , welcome to RC  :)

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ is the only source for images of the original Census records.
(Paysite , but costs are reasonable).

The Susan Somerville age 17 you have found on the 1851 Census has birthplace as Ireland(FreeCEN transcription)

Eliza Jane Irvine born 29th Sept. 1855 Hutchesontown Glasgow Lanark , parents John Irvine and Susan Sommerville(IGI)...... the original birth certificate(available at Scotlandspeople) might have the birthplaces of the parents  :-\
1855 register entries
In 1855, the first year of statutory civil registration, the following additional information was recorded:
Other children and whether they were living or deceased
Ages of both parents
Birthplaces of both parents
Parents’ usual residence
Baptismal name (if different).
Scotlandspeople.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 June 18 19:11 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat from me also.

I agree with Ev that you really need to register with Scotlands People. It is a pay per view site and you need to purchase some units. However if you want to look at census records and have the appropriate subscription to Ancestry -- you could first look the family up on there and see the transcription.

You will then be able to insert exact details into the Scotlands People census set and not waste any units opening the incorrect record. On that site there are parish registers and civil registration records (from 1855) also. For births marriages and deaths after 1855 you can view the actual certificate for only a few units (it was 6).
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 June 18 23:43 BST (UK) »
However if you want to look at census records and have the appropriate subscription to Ancestry -- you could first look the family up on there and see the transcription.
You would be better advised to check first at https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl because the transcriptions on Ancestry are notorious for their errors and creative spelling variations.

See also http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Danu13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 June 18 14:14 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to each of you for your suggestions. I will check them out and see what I find.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 15:30 BST (UK) »
However if you want to look at census records and have the appropriate subscription to Ancestry -- you could first look the family up on there and see the transcription.

You will then be able to insert exact details into the Scotlands People census set and not waste any units opening the incorrect record.

Not always, here's an example of 1871 census...

Ancestry...

James S Davine   58
Bridget Davine   50
Mary Ann Davine 19
Maria Davine   16
Thomas Davine   10
Mary Davine   35,

SP Index

James Devine 58 (No middle initial)
Bridget 50
Mary Ann 19
Marion 16
Theresa 10
Mary 85

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
Ok -- I take what I said back. Just ignore my suggestion and I'll go in my cupboard!

Good Luck.
Places of interest;

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 16:26 BST (UK) »
 ;D Pennines, I didn't mean anything untoward with your good advice at all, it was more of making people aware of the errors, especially Ancestry as I believe they use OCR which are not human transcriptions?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie --- I have emerged from the cupboard! Thank you for your message.

It was simply that both Forfarian and yourself --- 2 experienced and respected Rootschatters -- had BOTH copied what I had suggested and, it turns out, rightly disputed my suggestion.

My inferiority complex came to the fore!!
Places of interest;