Author Topic: Missing Children of Thomas ANDERSON and Isobel SHARPE Perth.  (Read 2756 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing Children of Thomas ANDERSON and Isobel SHARPE Perth.
« on: Monday 04 June 18 05:46 BST (UK) »
I am frustrated by three missing children of Thomas ANDERSON and Isobel SHARPE married 1798 Perth, Scotland  I’ve put them all in one thread but if it seems preferable to separate them, let me know.

They had 9 children three of whom I cannot account for   Thomas, William and Joseph

Thomas and Joseph may have emigrated anywhere and I may have to wait until someone works up from their lines, but William, I feel, should be able to be found.

Thomas born 26 Sep 1800 baptised at the Church of the Associate Congregation.  (father is Tailor at Methven Street, near Perth).  There is a Thomas ANDERSON in Auchterarder in 1841 age 40, constable,  with Euphemia ANDERSON age 6. both born in county.   Euphemia’s mother was Sophia HARVEY (from the Scotland’s people indexes). The only likely Thomas ANDERSON and Sophia marriage is to Sophia SMITH in 1825 in Perth. I bought that one, but I don’t think it can be him as that Thomas is a fisher of Monifieth, and SMITH is Sophia’s maiden name.  Can anyone see a Thomas ANDERSON Sophia HARVEY marriage?

William,  b 19 May 1805 and baptised 22 May 1805 at the Perth Associate Congregation (Thomas a Taylor in Pomarium)
He notified the death of his sister Isabella in 1856 so must be in Perth at that time
In 1841 and 1851 there is William a grocer. He married Elizabeth McLELLAN 29 Mar 1836. However I have his death in 1860  parents were John ANDERSON  a farmer and Ann (MS ANDERSON)
Can anyone see another candidate either in 1841/51 or a death?

Joseph  born/baptised 14 August 1817
He is NOT the Joseph ANDERSON age 25 a journeyman shoemaker in Pomarium with wife Margaret (IMRIE)and family in 1841 and also present in 1851.  (I have this Joseph’s death in 1859 - father was David ANDERSON and mother someone EDWARD

One brother, James, born 1807, was a Tailor (among other occupations), in London by 1837, married in 1843, and went to NZ in 1857 with his family but there is no indication (that I have found anyway) that  any of the other family were either already here, or came later.  One sister Margaret b 1811 was with him in London in 1841 and she went back to Perth and married William CRICHTON  there. That couple went to Birmingham and then Liverpool.  Of the remaining siblings two boys died as infants and the rest (2 daughters) stayed in the Perth area.

Thank you for looking.

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Children of Thomas ANDERSON and Isobel SHARPE Perth.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 June 18 13:21 BST (UK) »
Had a look at the PK Bell Perth burials but couldn't find any of them. I did see what looked like Thomas snr's burial, but I guess you have that already.
LEES/LEE - Interested in all Northern Irish families, particularly those from Cos. Londonderry, Tyrone, & Antrim.

See the project website @ ulsterlees.azurewebsites.net

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 June 18 14:47 BST (UK) »
William is listed as next of kin on Isabella’s death he is also noted as being "not present."   That being said her death registration states she was buried at Grayfriers and her burial record is online with PK.

I looked for William's death, based on a Perth born.  The Angus and Aberdeen William's are not yours as none of those who died in Perth.   

Sorry I can't be more helpful.  The only thing you might try is to use the census data at Ancestry or the LDS.  Plug in the name birth +/- 2 years and place of birth as Perthshire then cross reference to the results to SP.  If that doesn't yield any results I would change the birth to simply Scotland and do same which will pickup other countries.

Don 
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 June 18 18:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you both, well at least I haven’t missed anything glaringly obvious,

DonM,  yes, if only they had more interesting names to reduce the returns from the searches. 

TunjiLees - yes, there are several burials at Grey Friars, and the sister Isabella left a will.  Unfortunately she only names her two sisters by name, although I shouldn’t complain as that told me who one of them had married and further confirmed the other.

Perth archives have records of the Tailors Incorporation so maybe a visit or request there is in my future.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 16:48 BST (UK) »
     You may already have the following information.
     Index for Wills and Testament - ScotlandsPeople, lists Isabella Anderson as daughter of late Thomas Anderson, tailor in Pomarium, Perth,
          1851 Census. Pomarium, Perth.
     Thomas Anderson  76  Formerly Tailor   b  Tibbermuir, Perth. (Tibbermore)
     Isabella Anderson  47  (Dau) Teacher    b  Perth, Perthshire. 
     Susan Crighton       6 Grand dau-in-law b  Glasgow.
Thomas (Snr) must have died between 1851 and 1856 and burials at Greyfriars lists a death on 23rd Dec. 1852 for Thomas Anderson, Age: 78yrs. Occ: Tailor. CoD: Old Age.

Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 20:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you, yes I do. And I have Isabella’s will.

Yes, that is Thomas dying 1852

It’s those three sons in my post I would love to trace. But I think I will just have to be patient.

I went last UK summer to Perth and had a look at the minute books of the Tailors incorporation.  I didn’t  see anything directly relating to Thomas, but tantalising mention of some other Anderson Tailors I have yet to sort out. I’ve been working on another family.