Author Topic: How best to scan small old photographs?  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How best to scan small old photographs?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 February 19 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

Did you try this way of reducing the size in iPhoto:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-resize-images-in-iphoto-11/

Insert:

For Mac users, iPhoto makes it easy to resize a photo. Here's how:

To resize a photo in iPhoto '11, select the photo or photos you want to adjust and click on the File button from from menu bar. Then choose Export or hit Command-Shift-E. In the Export window, choose File Export, which lets you adjust the size of the image. Your options are small, medium, large, and full-size. You can also select a custom size. If actual photo size is less important than the size of the file, you can also adjust the JPEG quality, choosing from low, medium, high, and max.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 February 19 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 February 19 20:05 GMT (UK) »
A bit more, when you are adjusting in iPhoto, try to optimize the compression, dpi  and hxw size to get the least compression and min of 300 dpi.

Gadget 

Offline Currently Thwarted

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 February 19 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
Many Thanks for your advice on resizing a photo in iphoto and the 2 subsequent additions.
When I saw iPhoto '11 in your post, I assumed it to be El Capitan which as you know is 10.11.
I followed your words until reaching Export Window then, as I couldn't go further, it became a bit academic. I have (hopefully attached 2 screen shots to show where I became 'lost'. After saying that, somehow but unknown to me how, I seem to have been successful in getting the photo onto the site although awaiting approval. I will now be having a look at the sites you kindly directed me to.
Best regards, Jim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 February 19 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Gadget,
I went through the 'make use of . com' site you sent, Thank You for that.  From that I realised that I am no longer in iPhoto but in Photo. But there was a suggestion on the site to use Preview instead.
I tried that to find there is more for me to play with although the photo (reposted) is far smaller at 50 mm x 29 mm but 300 pixels so I am hoping it is sufficient for someone to restore it for me. However, I now have 2 photos awaiting approval, 1 very large, the other very small so I'll wait and see what happens. Anyhow, I wanted to bring you up to date as it was you that pointed me in the right direction. Thank You again, regards, Jim

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 February 19 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for letting us know how you're getting on, Jim. I'm looking forward to seeing the results  :)

I assumed that you'd managed to keep the iPhoto app as many Mac users did.

Gadget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 February 19 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gadget,
As a mostly technophobe, I knew nothing about keeping the iPhoto from the early OS I had from 2007, long before Apps were around to confuse me. However, as I previously said, I can now resize in Preview which before tapping onto your link I would never have thought of.
Thank You again. Regards, Jim