Author Topic: Sarah Poole 1901 census  (Read 1556 times)

Offline rpoole

• RootsChat Member
  • Mayfield House - Tasmania
    • View Profile
Sarah Poole 1901 census
« on: Monday 04 June 18 11:47 BST (UK) »
I am seeking advice on what is written in the last column of the entry for Sarah Poole widow aged 90 on the 1901 census at the Cirencester Workhouse.  It is mentioned a few times on the Workhouse inmates records.  It looks like "Eng C not st" but what does this mean?    ??? Maybe English-cannot stand? or English Church not stated?  any ideas welcome.    The URL for the item is too long to post on this site, But can be found under English census 1901 for Sarah Poole born 1811.  I believe she may be the widow of my Thomas Poole, convict,  from Upton St Leonards.
Cheers, Aussie Bob

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Poole 1901 census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 June 18 11:52 BST (UK) »
It has generally been written in the infirmities column but against entries that give place of birth as N.K. (Not Known)

It probably relates to the place of birth being England - possibly England County not stated
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rpoole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 June 18 12:01 BST (UK) »
Yes that may be it.  The place of birth is "N K" so you may be right.   Any further input welcome if there is someone who knows for sure what it stands for.
Many thanks
Aussie Bob

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 June 18 12:03 BST (UK) »

N.K. Not Known is used very frequently in Census Returns

As Sarah POOLE wasn't in the Cirencester Workhouse in 1891 - this is probably her in the Rural District of Cirencester

1891, Rodmarton

Sarah POOLE, Head, Widow aged 84 on Parish Relief, born Glos. Rodmarton.  Earlier census returns husband's named: JACOB

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 June 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
Where do you have your Sarah last on census
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 June 18 12:12 BST (UK) »
? is your Thomas POOLE, aged 37 of Upton St Leonards transported 5 January 1841 for 7 years for larcency...

Gloucestershire Genelogical Database Criminal also has

for Upton St Leonar

Thomas POOLE in 1822 aged 19 (labourer) and Thomas POOLE 1825 aged 21, labourer

Offline rpoole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 June 18 12:38 BST (UK) »
Yes, that is my Thomas.  I do not know anything about his wife except on his convict records he is reported as "Married" "wife Sarah" one child.   Nothing other than that.    Jacob being her husband discounts the Sarah mentioned in Capetown's first post.  I have found a Thomas Pool's marriage to a Sarah Moriss (maybe sic?) in 1825 in the parish of Hempstead hamlet of Littleworth.   On one of Thomas' crime reports he had stolen from a Robert Morris so I thought that may be the marriage.  However on Thomas' convict records for Read/Write it states "B" which I believe is "Both".  Further Thomas signed both of his next 2 marriage registrations in Tasmania.   On the Sarah Moriss marriage he signed with an X.  Further, a witness was Robert Pool, and my Thomas had one sibling who was Robert. But why sign with an X???   My Thomas was baptised 1803 in Upton St Leonards to Samuel and Mary Pool nee Brown. I have the parents burials and all of Robert's family.   What I need is Thomas' marriage in Eng. and Samuel and Mary's parents.   

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 June 18 13:16 BST (UK) »

Samuel POOL was buried at Upton St Leonards, 4 April 1832 aged 53 = 1779

He is listed  on UK Poll Books, Upton St Leonard is

POOLE Samuel - his own and also listed is Thomas POOLE abode, Pitcombe - land

--

Just quickly looked at the Will of Thomas POOL of Pitcomb 1785 - which talks about giving his Sons, William & Robert, land at Upton - so family names here possibly?

Offline rpoole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 June 18 14:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Capetown,  Yes, that is my Samuel, and I believe the Pitcombe Pool family will be related because of the land at Upton St Leonards, but connecting them to my known Samuel is proving very frustrating. Records are sparse in the latter part of the 1700's for that area. There is a John Pool and Mary Pool (Rodway) who had a Wiliam in USL also.  Connecting Samuel up to his elusive parents is a real problem.  Many thanks for your efforts.