Author Topic: Does this photo of Auchendinny show where family lived in 1851?  (Read 6718 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: DOES THIS PHOTO OF AUCHENDINNY SHOW WHERE FAMILY LIVED IN 1851?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 June 18 21:55 BST (UK) »
That is exactly where I mean by the 'first block'.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 11:50 BST (UK) »
WOW! Thanks for ALL your replies and ideas!

Don - Yes, I've done a "Google Drive", and have seen that the houses now have the street name The Brae, with odd numbers on west side and even numbers east side. I think these street numbers would be modern day. Back in 1851, I doubt there were any numbers at all, with the enumerator writing a household number on the Census for each family, but giving a house number i.e. "1,2,3,4,5, etc Aucheninny" for the actual house lived in, as some house numbers had more than one family living in them. As which way the enumerator recorded the families, I can only hope he walked north, doing the western side first, as this would fit in for the innkeeper living at "6 Aucheninny", the present day Victoria Inn.

Hibee - the building I have circled in both photos would be the same i.e. Victoria Inn, its just the different lenses make them look a little different. Thanks for your map link. I was on that site yesterday, but couldn't one. Yes, extra eyes do help! I do agree that the Census was started from the south western side with 5 houses up the inn which would be 6, as shown by the address numbers written in the Census. I also agree that the house on the western side going up the hill look old enough to be from 1851, and big enough to house a number of families at the one address. As I indicated in Don's reply, I think the current house numbers are more recent.

Forfarian - thanks for the older map reference, which also compares a modern day aerial view. The old map basically shows the same buildings in the modern aerial shot, though the modern Victoria Inn appears it could be a newer inn than the original 1851 inn - that is providing I have the right position for the original inn. I'm only assuming this because "6 Auchendinny" had the head as Innkeeper. I've put my thoughts of the current numbering system in the previous replies.

KitCarson -  thanks for your kind offer. If you have nothing to do one day, would it be possible to take up that offer. I was wondering if you find out when the Victoria Inn was built, and/or whether there was an inn at location in 1851. In my "Google Drive by" I looked for a date on the inn but couldn't see one. Perhaps a local resident might know? It appears the inn is now a private residence? My wife and I will be visiting Auchendinny in September, but as we are on limited time, I'm trying to arm myself with as much information as I can now to save time when I get there.

Isobelw - I think that the current 5 The Brae, may not be the actual "5 Auchendinny" in the 1851 Census, but I reckon its one of the blocks in the possibilities?

Just a little extra from the 1851 Census - "1 Auchendinny" housed 3 familes, "2 Auchendinny" housed 1 family, though there was also one unoccupied household, "3 Auchendinny" housed 2 families, "4 Auchendinny" housed 1 family, and "5 Auchendinny housed the BENSON family. Next address was the innkeeper with family at "6 Auchendinny".

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 13:23 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the 1855 Valuation Roll on Scotland's People?  A whole double page of (about) 50 records can be viewed for just 2 credits - location, proprietor, occupants, tenants.

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 14:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hibee - currently only have membership to Ancestry, my membership to Scotland's People ran out some time ago. I've just searched their index, and there could be some entries in there relating to the family. May have to rejoin - do you think the information might help for a location of the house?

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 15:23 BST (UK) »
What Parish is this as there are a couple with name Auchendinny in different parishes?

Searching Midlothian with 'Inn' brings up quite a few so Parish would scale it down.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 16:59 BST (UK) »
What Parish is this as there are a couple with name Auchendinny in different parishes?
Glencorse or Glencross.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 17:11 BST (UK) »
There is a Mrs MacGill ( publican in 1851 was Agnes McGill) listed in Auchendinny in the 1855 valuation.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Does this photo of Auchendinny show where family lived in 1851?
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 12:09 BST (UK) »
Not sure whether you've seen this?

http://www.ime.co.uk/ime-comes-auchendinny/

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 12:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hibee my membership to Scotland's People ran out some time ago.
SP is not a membership site. Registration and access to the indexes are free, but it's pay-per-view to see the images.

I see from the index that James and Isabella are both in Glencorse in 1861, with Margaret (2), Francis (1) and Isabella (0). There are 10 other Bensons in the parish. It is possible that the full image of the original might give some clues to the exact location of the house.