Author Topic: Does this photo of Auchendinny show where family lived in 1851?  (Read 6767 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: DOES THIS PHOTO OF AUCHENDINNY SHOW WHERE FAMILY LIVED IN 1851?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 12:57 BST (UK) »
I see from the index that James and Isabella are both in Glencorse in 1861, with Margaret (2), Francis (1) and Isabella (0). There are 10 other Bensons in the parish. It is possible that the full image of the original might give some clues to the exact location of the house.

Someone else connected to this family, details of that 1861 census listed here;

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=291069.0

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Does this photo of Auchendinny show where family lived in 1851?
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 13:24 BST (UK) »
Well, I am glad that I didn't spend time and effort looking up what is already on one of the other threads about this same family
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=291069.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=606877.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=607137.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=794529.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=786615.0
No fewer than four of the threads are in the Midlothian forum.

Les, if you start new threads about the same people, please always include a LINK to all the previous ones, so that people can see what is already known about them. That way RootsChatters won't waste their time going over old ground.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 June 18 11:18 BST (UK) »

Les, if you start new threads about the same people, please always include a LINK to all the previous ones, so that people can see what is already known about them. That way RootsChatters won't waste their time going over old ground.

Yes, aware of some previous posts, but this post is a completely different subject. I know about the family, however, this post is just trying to identify the actual house they lived in during the 1851 Census from the photo I attached, nothing else. The other threads did not cover that subject.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion, and the delay in responding (for some reason I have received notification of recent replies to post).

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 June 18 18:12 BST (UK) »

Yes, aware of some previous posts, but this post is a completely different subject. I know about the family, however, this post is just trying to identify the actual house they lived in during the 1851 Census from the photo I attached, nothing else. The other threads did not cover that subject.
Indeed not, but as you can see some RootsChatters have gone off and looked up other census etc, not knowing that you already had all that information. You knew it was a related topic but other people did not.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 June 18 18:33 BST (UK) »
I used some Scotland's People credits to work on this post.

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline mrs a

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 03 September 18 20:53 BST (UK) »
In Isabelw's photograph of no 5, there is, in the background, a white, modern house which my father built around 1982, it was number 1 The Brae. It was built in the ground belonging to Mrs Campbell, who had the shop at the foot of the brae. It had to be demolished to provide visibility for access onto main road. The numbers start at the bottom of the Brae and, from memory, are odd numbers on that side of the road
Fawcett, Currie, Hutton, Bauchope, Rankine, Main,Gilmour,Campbell,Tervit,Walker,Frame,Rooney, Finnie,Rea,Noble,Alexander
West Lothian, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire, Fife,Midlothian

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 06 September 18 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Les de B, apologies for the delay in responding.  As usual, family life has got in the way.

5-17 and 19-33 are upper/lower style accommodation.  I will try and post some pics but my last attempt wasn't great as I tried to attach too many pics.  Kit

Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 06 September 18 17:45 BST (UK) »
View from the bridge
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 06 September 18 18:03 BST (UK) »
Rear