Author Topic: 1861 Census Mary Charlton  (Read 1044 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1861 Census Mary Charlton
« on: Monday 04 June 18 16:36 BST (UK) »
Can anyone find Mary Charlton on the 1861 census for me?

Mary was born c1801 in Hutton Rudby, Yorkshire. She is on the 41, 51 and 71 census with her husband Thomas and family, in Hutton Rudby. Thomas is on the 1861 census with the rest of the family but Mary is missing (perhaps visiting somewhere).

Thank you
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census Mary Charlton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 June 18 17:30 BST (UK) »
I see that in 1851 Mary has a daughter called Esther Ann, who appears to have married a Robert Smithies/Smithes in (1q 1855, Guisborough 9d, 555)

They are in Guisborough in 1861 and with them is a Mary Charlton, 'visitor'. The only problem is that everything else is wrong she is apparently unmarried, and born in Guisborough  :-\

It's at RG9 / 3655 / 93 / 44
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census Mary Charlton
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 June 18 18:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jen

I had seen that one but ruled it out because of the age and being single. However I am now convinced that is the right one as after checking all the options re Mary Charlton's born Guisborough etc and Thomas and Mary's own daughter called Mary it can only be the mother.

A difficult family to follow but Esther Smithies is still around in 1891 but Robert appears to have died in 1889.

Thank you for your help
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.