Author Topic: Beatrice Sandford/Seward/Seaward  (Read 3840 times)

Offline PeteCarpenter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Beatrice Sandford/Seward/Seaward
« Reply #18 on: Monday 04 June 18 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi have you followed Ernest back to see if his name changes slightly?
Is he the Earnest Sanford 24 Single occ Mill Hand b Bridgwater, Somerset shown as boarder with a John Beer 64 and Sarah Beer 56 at Luckwell Lane, Bristol in 1901 Census ref RG13/2360/94/32
Keyboard86

This one?
Keyboard86

Luckwell Lane is a stones throw from Ashton Gate so i would be inclined to think so!

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 June 18 22:36 BST (UK) »
:) Hi again, ok let's look at Kate, could she be the Kate Beer aged 20 b Ashton working as a Housemaid in a Hospital in 1901 Census ref RG13/2364/146/1
Does the marriage state her father?
Keyboard86

Hi there,

Yes, this would certainly fit the details I have. Born in 1881 in Bedminster so within walking distance of Ashton/Ashton Gate. Her being married in the Ashton Gate area in 1901 would also point to this being the same Kate. It doesn't state her father but I have the witnesses as John Beer (who I believe is her father) and Thomas Sandford who I believe is Ernest's brother

Thanks for your input!

The 1881 census RG11 2451/56 p50 and the 1891 census RG12 1947/28 p2 have Kate as the daughter of John BEER and Sarah J or Sarah T (both born in Devon) with seven siblings born c1863 onwards (Devon, Bristol, Glamorgan, Bedminster).
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PeteCarpenter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 04 June 18 22:39 BST (UK) »
You just need to order the Mar qtr 1904 birth certificate (or, more cheaply, a £6 pdf image) from GRO Online using the reference details available from FreeBMD.  You don’t need the mother’s maiden name to do that.

www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

Hi there, thanks for helping :)

I was going to try to order a certificate but I'm not 100% sure of which surname to request. As Beatrice was born On Dec 16th 1903 it seems reasonable that she would be registered 1st Q of 1904. I can't find a Beatrice Sandford in this quarter, but a Beatrice Seward I can.

At this time though Kate was married to Ernest Sandford (Beatrice was born in Stapleton workhouse, Kate possibly as a worker rather than an inmate if I infer from info provided further up the thread that she was working in a 'hospital') or should I request as Seward as there exists a registration ref for this and hope they are the same person?

New thought building upon what others have already suggested earlier. Could Ernest and Kate have 'rescued' Beatrice from an 'inmate' at Stapleton Workhouse (possibly Lillian Seward)?

Offline PeteCarpenter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 04 June 18 22:40 BST (UK) »
:) Hi again, ok let's look at Kate, could she be the Kate Beer aged 20 b Ashton working as a Housemaid in a Hospital in 1901 Census ref RG13/2364/146/1
Does the marriage state her father?
Keyboard86

Thank you. This is what I have, that Kate was born to John and Sarah Jane Beer (nee Evans) and I have the siblings also :) Thanks again
Hi there,

Yes, this would certainly fit the details I have. Born in 1881 in Bedminster so within walking distance of Ashton/Ashton Gate. Her being married in the Ashton Gate area in 1901 would also point to this being the same Kate. It doesn't state her father but I have the witnesses as John Beer (who I believe is her father) and Thomas Sandford who I believe is Ernest's brother

Thanks for your input!

The 1881 census RG11 2451/56 p50 and the 1891 census RG12 1947/28 p2 have Kate as the daughter of John BEER and Sarah J or Sarah T (both born in Devon) with seven siblings born c1863 onwards (Devon, Bristol, Glamorgan, Bedminster).

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 04 June 18 22:43 BST (UK) »
These are the details you should use to order the birth certificate:

Beatrice SEWARD, Mar qtr 1904 Bristol 6a 207.

Be aware that if, as expected, she was born as the illegitimate daughter of Lilian Seward, there will be no mention of adoption, or of Ernest & Kate Sandford, on the birth certificate and it is highly unlikely that her joining their family will have been formally documented elsewhere (other than perhaps in workhouse records, which may or may not survive). As I mentioned in an earlier reply, formal adoption was brought in much later on.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 04 June 18 22:49 BST (UK) »
I find myself very tempted to post as much information as I can find, but I don't wan t to clog this thread up with data that could be irrelevant or confusing!

Could I just check to make sure I am not confused -

Beatrice born Dec 1903, registered and baptised 1n 1904 was the daughter of Lilian SEWARD (father unknown).
Somehow, she ends up with the BEER/SANDFORD family
Lilian SEWARD disappears from sight.
We don't yet know if there is any blood relationship between SEWARD and BEER/SANDFORD.

Is that an accurate summary?

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PeteCarpenter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 04 June 18 22:50 BST (UK) »
These are the details you should use to order the birth certificate:

Beatrice SEWARD, Mar qtr 1904 Bristol 6a 207.

Be aware that if, as expected, she is the illegitimate daughter of Lilian Seward, there will be no mention of adoption, or of Ernest & Kate Sandford, on the certificate and it is highly unlikely that her joining their family will have been formally documented elsewhere. As I mentioned in an earlier reply, formal adoption was brought in much later on.

Hi again,

Absolutely! This was apart of the problem I was having in earlier days. Would it be reasonable to assume the informal adoption if I can show that Lillian Seward was a patient/inmate at the same time that Kate Sandford was working there?

In your own opinion, why do you think that Beatrice suddenly started to use Sandford in 1925?

Many thanks for all your help!

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 04 June 18 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi again, wondered why Kate had no near neighbours in 1901 census, she was a Housemaid at the Ham Green Isolation Hospital, Ham Green.
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PeteCarpenter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 04 June 18 22:53 BST (UK) »
I find myself very tempted to post as much information as I can find, but I don't wan t to clog this thread up with data that could be irrelevant or confusing!

Could I just check to make sure I am not confused -

Beatrice born Dec 1903, registered and baptised 1n 1904 was the daughter of Lilian SEWARD (father unknown).
Somehow, she ends up with the BEER/SANDFORD family
Lilian SEWARD disappears from sight.
We don't yet know if there is any blood relationship between SEWARD and BEER/SANDFORD.

Is that an accurate summary?

Philip

Hi Phillip,

Don't worry, it is rather a confusing situation but, yes, I believe your summary is the same as my understanding!

I am now leaning towards the Sandford/Beers having informally adopted Beatrice from Lillian Seward from birth, Lillian potentially being a patient/inmate at the Stapleton Workhouse where I suspect Kate Sandford (nee Beer) was working.

I am going to try and find out what I can about Lillian Seward to see why they would feel the need to do this, perhaps she dies at birth? (pure speculation! :P )

Pete