Author Topic: 'Flying Cloud' Jan 1863 passenger list lookup  (Read 1931 times)

Offline pbd2001

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'Flying Cloud' Jan 1863 passenger list lookup
« on: Monday 04 June 18 18:51 BST (UK) »
My 2nd great grandmother, Bridget PHIBBS, born 1842, from County Cork, Ireland, had a Queensland land order dated Feb 1863 which she transferred to Maurice O'REGAN. I know Maurice arrived in Queensland in Jan 1863 (from his obituary) and so I have a theory that they arrived together.

There are only a few ships it could be and, since I think she arrived unassisted, my bet is it is the Flying Cloud which arrived in Moreton Bay in Jan 1863. Only problem is I haven't been able to locate a passenger list. I see there is a book called 'They Came Direct: Immigration Vessels to Queensland: Flying Cloud 1863' but I'm reluctant to buy it if she wasn't on that ship. Does anyone have this book (or the passenger list) to check for me please?

Thanks

Phil
Bath, UK

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 'Flying Cloud' Jan 1863 passenger list lookup
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 June 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast has  “Queensland Customs House Shipping 1852-1885: Passengers And Crew

I don’t see either name on first pass.

Offline pbd2001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 'Flying Cloud' Jan 1863 passenger list lookup
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 21:52 BST (UK) »
I didn't realise the FindMyPast Customs House records contained records for unassisted passengers as well so thank you for looking on my behalf. I have access to FindMyPast so I had a look myself and I'm fairly sure she's in there as Bridget PHILLIPS who arrived on the Wanata at Moreton Bay on 17 Feb 1863 (she transferred her land order on the 24 Feb 1863). The age, origin and arrival dates match my expectations and as PHIBBS/PHIPPS are derivatives of PHILLIPS, it's possible that her surname was mis-spelled in this way.