Author Topic: Mystery Reverend  (Read 2790 times)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mystery Reverend
« on: Monday 04 June 18 22:19 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of the Llaneugrad Parish Registry, (2 pages), for 1884 that shows the burial of my Great Great granfather, Michael Richards on August 17, 1884.
 The officiating cleric for 15 of the 16 entries on these pages is the Curate, John Williams. The cleric that officiated at Michael's burial is shown as the cleric R. Richards. I've had a search for this chap but can't trace him either living in Anglesey at that date or listed in the Bangor Diocese.
 A simple search for a  'Richards' produced a surprising Rev. John Richards, Vicar of St. Beuno at Aberffraw. Nothing to get excited about except that this Rev. John, (not to be confused with the Rev. john Richards of Llanerchymed, Michael's father) is shown as being born within a couple of miles of where my family originated, Lledrod in Cardiganshire. The Rev. John of Llanerchymedd was born there in 1757. It doesn't explain who R. Richards was but shows this coincidental link in the family chain. Could the R be a short version of Rev.
 There are 8 vicars in the family .... is there another one out there? Any ideas?
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Reverend
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 17:58 BST (UK) »
Crockfords  for 1885 lists a Richard Richards of Penrhoslligwy, Amlwch, Anglesey.  His appointment to that parish is mentioned in newspapers of 1873, so it is probably the Richard Richards, aged 45 born at Blaenpennal, Cardiganshire, vicar, who is in Llanallgo (near Penrhos Llugwy) in 1881. He is unmarried.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 18:33 BST (UK) »
Viking -- if you have access to Ancestry there is a selection of searchable Crockford's Clerical Directories on that site - earliest 1868 latest 1932. They were NOT published every year.

Please forgive me if you know this -- but to find them;

Go to Card Catalogue
Insert 'Crockford's' (without the quotes) in the search box.
The Dataset should pop up.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 19:21 BST (UK) »
   Thank you both for your input.
 Blaenpennal is less than a mile from my GX4 grandfather's birthplace so it looks as if both Richard and John Richards are related. My family is composed mostly of farmers and clergy and I have 2 brothers of my Gx7 grandfather that I haven't been able to trace yet. If they followed the family tradition then they too will have had Clergy sons and grandsons.
 I don't have access to Ancestry but with input from such as yourselves I manage to struggle onwards and upwards. Perhaps Divine Intervention plays a part too.

Many thanks.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 21:43 BST (UK) »
Here's a bit of info on Richard Richards of Penrhoslligwy from the Cambrian News of 19 June 1914

The death occurred on Sun- day, June 14th, of Rev. Richard Richards, late vicar of Penrhoslligwy, at the age of eighty-four. He had been vicar of Penrhoslligwy for thirty-eight years, and retired about three years ago owing to indifferent health and took up his residence at Aberystwyth. His kindliness of heart and general worthiness caused him to be esteemed by all. He was ordained in 1860 and held curacies at Preston, Faversham, Kent, St. James, Taunton, Quorn, and Waltham, Leicestershire. He is the last surviving brother of the old and well-known Cardiganshire family of LIwynbwch since his brother (the late Rev. Chancellor Richards. J.P., Aberffraw), predeceased him six years ago. The funeral took place at Llangeitho on Thursday, June 18th.

Any links?

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 09:01 BST (UK) »
  Thank you for that Mabel.
  Nothing rings a bell to connect him to my family. I was half-way through a squint at the land-tax register for Lledrod, (includes Blaenpennal, his stated place of birth), where there is a Richard Richards, son of Ditto, residing at Tynant ... a positive relative. Just noticed that 'my' Richard has dates of B1836-D1905 so they are diferent folk altogether.
 As usual, when found to be in error, I say take me outside and shoot me!
                                           Regards, Peter

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 12:29 BST (UK) »
 As an aside to this topic I see, written in the margins of the two pages of the Parish Register, an indication of the tussle between the established Church and the Non-Conformists at that time.
 "I found this book torn to pieces and the leaves ? on the ? floor. Feb. 23rd 1884 a Baptist preacher buried the first person under the Burial Act; refused to deliver or show the Register Certificate to the Rector. " Signed by J. Williams.
                                        regards. Peter

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 16:42 BST (UK) »
  The Rev. Richard Richards, Penrhoslligwy, and the Rev. John Richards. Aberffraw were brothers. The newspaper article that you quoted says that Richard was predeceased by his brother The Rev. Chancellor Richards. (I assumed that 'Chancellor' was a first name, not a title. (I have a relative named Heiress)). This explains the similarites in their early histories so the shooting is cancelled. John died at Holyhead in 1908, Aged 86.

Regards, Peter

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 18:20 BST (UK) »
Peter - it looks like both Reverend John and Reverend Richard Richards are included on the Probate Calendar for England and Wales.

Sorry if you already know -- but if you don't you may be interested.

1. Reverend John Richards of the Rectory, Aberffraw, 'Anlesea' died 18 Jan 1908. Administration Bangor to Esther Richards, widow. effects £2,416. 13. 6d

2. Richards Reverend Richard of Formosa, Smithfield Rd, Aberystwyth, clerk, died 14 June 1914. Probate London 1 Aug to Hannah Richards, widow. Effects £1117. 5s.4d. Resworn £1,297 16s 2d.

You could order the Admin (doesn't look like there was a Will for John) - and the will for Richard on line at

https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

They would cost £10 each.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.