Author Topic: Mystery Reverend  (Read 2794 times)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Reverend
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 19:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Pennines.  I wonder which of the widows, if any, was the wfe of the Rev. John. He is always shown on the censuses as being married but there never was a wife shown.
  I've located the actual farm where they were born and yes, a 15 minute stroll would bring you to one of the many farms in the area that were occupied by my Richards family. One of the reasons for there being so many clergy is the Edward Richard School at Ystrad Meurig. Edward is stated as being 'Kin' of my family. The school prepared young gents for admission to the Clergy and there appears to be a sort of Clerical Mafia among the ex-pupils that transformed farming sons into clergy and then guiding them into the arms of daughters of influental wealthy families.
 ( I didn't attend that school but gained the letters AaP after my name. Atheist and Pauper).

Regards, Peter

Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 19:26 BST (UK) »
Dear Atheist and Pauper,

According to the probate calendar -- John's widow was Esther at the time of his death.

According to the Bible -- doesn't it say that the poor shall inherit the earth? Or have I got that wrong? If it does say that  --- let's hope that the Almighty will overlook your atheist tendencies!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 19:57 BST (UK) »
  Thank you for your kind words. A Rev. David Richards of Lledrod married a Margaret Morris in 1759. She had inherited the Carrog Estate in Llanddeinol as being the  last in line of that family. Upon marriage, the estate was passed to her husband and, upon his death in 1777 was inherited by his son, the Rev. Thomas Richards. When Thomas died in 1852 the estate was inherited by his grand-daughter. Mary Morris.

[ In April 1860, Miss Mary Morice, the owner of the Carrog estate, near Llanddeiniol, in north Cardiganshire, sent her tenants the following circular:
 'I feel myself morally bound to set before you two alternatives, and you are at liberty to choose for yourself, namely to attend our Church service with your family and thus to support its principles, or otherwise (if your conscience will not allow you to comply with my request) you must quit the farm which you now hold of me.
 On the Carrog estate, fourteen families of farmers and thirteen families of cottagers quit in September 1861, while only two families were prepared to attend church.]

I'm glad  that I don't support the principles that cousin Mary thought so highly of. I'm just a quiet elderly gent that believes in freedom of choice.

regards, Peter
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 20:01 BST (UK) »
I have just checked -- and it's those MEEK who shall inherit the earth! So be meek.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 20:17 BST (UK) »
 I'll be meek if you keep your nose out of my beliefs .... or lack of them.
                                               Kindest regards,  Peter