Author Topic: Evelyn Hood and Ivy Hood. How are they connected ?  (Read 2861 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Evelyn Hood and Ivy Hood. How are they connected ?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 02:43 BST (UK) »
Emma Jane Sewell and 9 siblings were all baptised on 22/5/1881 Theale, Berkshire - no birthdates given.

Just to confirm that Emma became Evelyn have just found her on 1901 Census as a servant in Kensington shown as Everlyn Sewell - as in 1911 she is stating bc.1873 Sheffield.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 02:46 BST (UK) »

Just to confirm that Emma became Evelyn have just found her on 1901 Census as a servant in Kensington shown as Everlyn Sewell - as in 1911 she is stating bc.1873 Sheffield.

Ah - brilliant  :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 02:51 BST (UK) »
I wonder who on earth Mr Hood was, then.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline karenbrown669

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 04:16 BST (UK) »
Blimey ! Thankyou so much. I have been doing the family history for years with my cousin and we were very stuck on this. You are both brilliant. I'm in Australia and she is in the uk. I cant wait to tell her when she wakes up

Offline karenbrown669

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 04:32 BST (UK) »
This info was given to us a while ago  :

READING COUNTY MAGISTRATES' OFFICE.
whereby to purchase leather to make horse collars, * -' he had spent the money in drink. He could easily earn 10s a day. Emma Jane Sewell, daughter of the complainant and defendant, gave similar evidence. , The defendant said that on the day in question
28 June 1884 - Reading Mercury - Reading, Berkshire, England

Basically Thomas Henry was an abusive drunk who beat his wife, who had had 20 children in all. He had thrown his eldest children out of the house, had assaulted his wife again and her daughter had to rescue her and take her next door. Thomas was sent to jail for 2 months and a separation was granted.

It is a long article and Thomas sounds a most unpleasant man who had put his wife and family through many years of hell. He took money off his children, made harnesses and then drank all the money away. Perhaps this would have led to Emma changing her name completely?
Her mother appears to have stayed with Thomas as they are together in 1901. How bizarre! She had not wanted him charged but she did want a separation.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 10:24 BST (UK) »
Goodness me.  I have now read the whole of that article and agree it makes very unhappy reading indeed.  How very sad that Emily did not manage to escape her drunken abusive husband even after the magistrates sent him to prison for aggravated assault on her, and granted her a separation order, in 1884.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 10:52 BST (UK) »
I see that the home address given on Ivy Dorothy Hood’s 1894 baptism was 80 Templeton Rd (which is in Tottenham, Edmonton).

Unfortunately in 1891 there is nobody named Hood at the address, which is occupied by William C Amos (plasterer) and family: RG12/1073/72/31.

The Amos couple of 80 Templeton Rd had a batch of their children (Charles William, Eugenie Susannah, Minnie Harriet and Florence Rose) baptised on 2 November 1893 at St John’s, Stamford Hill - the same church where Ivy was baptised the following April.

Templeton Rd is not far from Vartry Rd, where the church was (now demolished) - just a few streets up on the other side of Seven Sisters Rd.

Offline karenbrown669

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
avm228 you must be a mind reader as  I was going to ask where Evelyn was in 1891.
 I haven't yet read the whole article but am hoping to get access to it at my library where in Australia we can get ancestry for free. Seems strange that she would also let her father look after her child knowing what he was like. thanks once again for your help. One of many puzzle pieces solved