Author Topic: Jane TUTTON nee RICHARDSON  (Read 1263 times)

Offline rogtut#

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane TUTTON nee RICHARDSON
« on: Tuesday 05 June 18 11:26 BST (UK) »
Jane is my great-grandmother.  According to census returns she was born in Nottingham in about 1832 and by 1841 is living in Stockport.  I cannot trace her in the 1851 Census.  She marries Alfred Tutton in the Wycliffe Chapel Stockport on 26 Sep 1853.  She dies in Shrewsbury in about 1907.

Her marriage cert gives her father as John Richardson deceased and his occupation as Cutler or Cutter (his forename was later confirmed by Stockport Register Office as Joseph).  The witnesses are Thomas Cocker and Rachel Shore.

I believe her mother is Sarah Betty Howe who possibly marries Joseph Richardson in Manchester Cathedral in Jul 1818 and secondly James Shore.  Rachel Shore the above witness is her half sister and she later marries Thomas Cocker the other witness.

My problem is that I cannot find (despite diligent efforts) the baptism of Jane Richardson nor information about her father.  Perhaps someone with knowledge of Nottinghamshire can help.

One other possibly salient fact is that Sarah Betty Howe's mother could be Patience Rainford born in Dunham on Trent Notts in about 1769.

Thanks R

TUTTON Stockport & Shrewsbury UK;
CHAVASSE West Midlands UK & Worldwide;
EVANS Derbyshire UK;
HUGHES Ireland & Scotland;
ROSS Scotland

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Jane TUTTON nee RICHARDSON
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 22:46 BST (UK) »
and by 1841 is living in Stockport.

She was living with 75yr old Patience Howe who is shown as "not born in county"

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 23:04 BST (UK) »
I cannot trace her in the 1851 Census

Mistranscribed as Jane Share aged 20 b Nottinghamshire living with mother Sarah Share and father James Shore HO107 Piece 2156 Folio 229 Page 2

Strangely - there is a Patience Laughton aged 82 shown as mother in law also in household
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 23:06 BST (UK) »
Per FS

William Laughton married Patience Rainsford on 4.2.1794 Tuxford Notts

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 11:01 BST (UK) »
On NFHS there are only 4 baptisms for Jane Richardson in the time frame, I searched 1832 with 5 years either side.
East Retford 11 May 1828 parents John & Mary father a shoemaker abode New St.
Newark 22 Oct 1837 parents Richard& Mary father a saddler.
Edingley 5 May 1833 parents William & Sarah father a tailor (???Cutter maybe)
Thurgarton 24 Nov 1833 parents Crispin & Jane father a shoemaker.
and....
East Bridgford 15 Sep 1833 Jane dau of Elizabeth Richardson servant.

Baptism Dunham 20 May 1771 Patience dau of John & Margaret RAINSFORD father a weaver.
Patience also marries under the Rainsford spelling. Tuxford 4 Feb 1794 P. R. and William Laughton

Dunham baptism 17 Aug 1794 John son of Wm. & Patiance Laughton
Tuxford baptism 12 Sep 1796 William son of William & Patience Laughton
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 12:09 BST (UK) »

East Bridgford 15 Sep 1833 Jane dau of Elizabeth Richardson servant.

Burial in East Bridgford of Jane Richardson age 13+1/2 in 1846, so it looks as though this one can be ruled out.

Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
James Shore m Sarah Richardson by banns on 18 Nov 1832, in Cheadle (about 4 miles from Stockport) - is this the right couple? witnesses George Smith and John Ridings, who witnessed most of the other marriages on the page too so probably aren't helpful to know.

The censuses for Jane sometimes give her pob as Nottinghamshire, sometimes Nottingham and once, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire. So I suspect she might have been born in Nottingham town rather than in one of the smaller towns/villages.

Too many surnames going on here for my poor addled brain! So, OP, you probably have this, but here goes:

Patience Rainsford bapt 1771, Dunham, Notts, parents John and Margaret.

Patience Rainsford m William Laughton in Tuxford, Notts, in 1794. Children (John and William) bapt 1794-96 as per Larkspur's previous post.

Sarah Betty Howe bapt Liverpool, 14.1.1803 (born jan 1802) to John Howe, button maker, and Patience (formerly Rainford) his wife.

I can't see a death for William Laughton between 1796-1802 either in Nottinghamshire or on the LancsOPC site. And I can't see a marriage for John Howe and Patience either.

Sarah Howe m Joseph Richardson in 1818 -- but in Manchester, not Liverpool. Both were single. Shame it doesn't give details for the marital status at the Sarah Richardson/James Shore marriage!

I looked for a death of Joseph Richardson in Nottinghamshire around the late 1820s-1831 period as well, in case Sarah was widowed there then moved back north, but nothing that might match.There was a couple, Joseph and Sarah Richardson, baptising (and losing) children in central Notts between 1822-1832, but with no Jane amongst them (and there's a possible matching marriage between the parents with a different MMN).
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline rogtut#

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 June 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for attempting this knotty problem that has baffled me (and my sister) for some years!

I have studied it all with interest and in the main I am pleased to say that you have all confirmed our research.  I also have a death for a Patience Lawton in Stockport in the 3rd quarter of 1851 Vol19 P206 although I cannot find a matching burial for Howe, Lawton or Laughton.

So her birth and father remain a mystery fromthe past to be answered in the future.

I have recently posted a photograph of her on the photo restoration board.

Roger

TUTTON Stockport & Shrewsbury UK;
CHAVASSE West Midlands UK & Worldwide;
EVANS Derbyshire UK;
HUGHES Ireland & Scotland;
ROSS Scotland