Author Topic: Seeking birth, baptism and parents of Thomas Adair  (Read 2780 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking birth, baptism and parents of Thomas Adair
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 01 November 18 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Update.

I finally bit the bullet and got a copy of the birth certificate of Thomas Adair Bourne Howson.

He was born in Birmingham on 6 May 1874 (which matches exactly the date in the 1939 Register) and his mother was Sarah Ann Howson, domestic servant, no father's name.

I think he has to be the 6-year-old Tom A Bourne in Knaresborough in 1881.

So in the time-honoured fashion I have one answer and at least two new questions. A cursory look at the census has not revealed any obvious answers.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 01 November 18 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Of the two counties Thomas is so far connected with, Howson seems to be more a Yorkshire name than a Warwickshire one.

One to look at perhaps is the Sarah A Howson who in 1901 is an unmarried housemaid in Otley Rd, Harrogate.  Born abt 1848 Garforth, Leeds.

Added: this Sarah was in service in Campsall in 1871 - household of Jeremiah B Faviell - and then in both 1881 and 1891 in Potter Newton in the household of Fred(erick) Gill.  Can’t see anything to rule her in or out at the moment.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 01 November 18 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Good suggestion, avm, thank you. But I think I'll need some more evidence to prove it was her - and I haven't a clue about the identity of the father.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 01 November 18 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Good suggestion, avm, thank you. But I think I'll need some more evidence to prove it was her - and I haven't a clue about the identity of the father.

Indeed :)

Well... her father was named Thomas!  Can’t yet link her to Birmingham or the Adair & Bourne names though.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 November 18 11:32 GMT (UK) »
BTW I looked into the possibility that Elizabeth Green, with whom Tom A Bourne was lodging in 1881, was a relative, but I don't think so.

She was Elizabeth Croft, married to Robert Green in Knaresborough in 1854. Two children: Maria Elizabeth, born 1855, and Joseph William, born 1859, both registered in Great Ouseburn. A Robert Green, 31, died in Great Ouseburn in 1860. A child named Leonard Edgar Green was born in Knaresborough in 1866, no mother's name in GRO index. I can't find the other boarder, George Lascelles, in the births indexes.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 November 18 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Well.

Taking up avm's find in the 1901 census, I tracked Sarah Ann Howson back through 1891, 1881 and 1871 to 1861, where she is with her parents, Thomas Howson and .... wait for it .... Alice Audaer or Audair. Thomas and Alice were married in Tadcaster in 1846 and Sarah Ann was their eldest, born in 1847.

So it looks as if both Thomas and Adair came from Sarah's family, not from Thomas Adair Bourne Howson's father's name (it would surely be too much of a coincidence for him to have the same names as both of her parents?).

Must not overlook the fact that there is another servant named Sarah Ann Howson, and two more plain Sarah Howsons, servants, in the 1871 census, but this does look fairly promising.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 01 November 18 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Oh that is promising :)

Yes I see: Sarah Ann Howson, mmn Audaer, Dec qtr 1847 Pontefract.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 01 November 18 12:48 GMT (UK) »
I agree, Forfarian.   Have just found the same information.   So looking like an unnamed Mr. Bourne was probably the father of Thomas.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 01 November 18 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Just looked a bit more at her 1871 boss, Jeremiah B Faviell.

Turns out the middle initial B was for Bourn(e)