Author Topic: Seeking birth, baptism and parents of Thomas Adair  (Read 2763 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking birth, baptism and parents of Thomas Adair
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 01 November 18 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Jeremia Bourn Faviell was baptised at Kirkby Overblow on 24 Dec 1810.  Parents Mark & Maria.

He and wife Elizabeth have no children in 1851/1871.  If Thomas was his illegitimate child, I wonder whether he set him up financially to some extent?  I see that Thomas Adair had quite a substantial estate by the time of his own probate, though of course that may have been entirely due to his own efforts.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 01 November 18 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Jeremiah’s first wife was Mary Ann Dawson - married 25 Feb 1836 when Jeremiah was 25 and Mary Ann 17.

They had a daughter, Isabel Amelia, baptised 15 Apr 1841 at Horbury (when she married in 1868 the newspaper announcement described her as the “only child” of JBF).

Mary Ann died later that year - Dec qtr 1841 Wakefield.

There are several newspaper references to Jeremiah Bourne Faviell or J.B. Faviell, of Stockeld Park, Wetherby.  He endowed a newly-built church at Amcotts nr Althorp, Lincs, and gave coal to the poor.  It looks as though he made money early on in building railways (he was a railway contractor on Isabel’s 1841 baptism record) and later in coal mining.  He also served as a magistrate.

Also references to his father, Mark Faviell, of Amcotts Lodge, (in Thorne, Lincs) who was the petitioner for the new church at Amcotts.

Mark died in 1861 aged 74, and his wife Maria in 1868, aged 77.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 01 November 18 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, avm228. Very interesting.

I am hesitant to get deeply into Jeremiah Bourn Faviell's family unless and until I can find some sort of evidence that he really was the father of Thomas. If Sarah Ann had wanted to proclaim to the world that the baby was Jeremiah's, she could have named him Jeremiah Bourn Faviell Howson, for example. Maybe he was Jeremiah's and she was given some inducement not to name him too obviously after Jeremiah. Maybe he wasn't Jeremiah's, but Jeremiah dealt kindly with her, and she was grateful enough to use one of Jeremiah's names.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 01 November 18 17:49 GMT (UK) »
I’d have thought it extremely unlikely there is any surviving documentary evidence of Thomas’ paternity, whoever the father was.

I suppose Y-DNA might be an option, if there’s a male-line descendant of Thomas and a traceable male-line descendant of a brother of Jeremiah?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 01 November 18 18:08 GMT (UK) »
I'll speak to my friend about that, but I suspect that suggestion will prove to be a bridge too far! Thank you for all your help.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.