Author Topic: Bartholomew Wyndover Marriage Banns Ottery St Mary, 1657.  (Read 1168 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bartholomew Wyndover Marriage Banns Ottery St Mary, 1657.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 13:49 BST (UK) »
Yes I go with Bookbox now.

I had forgotten that party can refer to a person.

The one party and the other party meaning people. Never seen it used in a register in this way before.

A new learning experience. Thankyou.

Fizzy

Thank you.  :)

It's interesting and good for people doing family history research, that these marriage banns record the names of the brides fathers. I have not come across that before.
These are just the marriage banns. A transcription states that they were married on the 20th of August.
I don't know if the original marriage image from 1657 on Find My Past gives any information regarding Bartholomew's residence as my subscription has just ran out.

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 15:24 BST (UK) »
I don't know if the original marriage image from 1657 ... gives any information regarding Bartholomew's residence

The entry that you have already linked to above states that both spouses were of this parish (Ottery St Mary) – see reply #3 above.

The marriage entry itself reads ...

Bartholomew Wyndeov(er) & Dorothy Bonner were Married by mr
Tyrling in ye p(re)sence of Thomas Summer and John
Buckland on the Twentyeth of August 1657

Strictly, the ‘banns’ are not banns at all, but the pages are headed Purposes of Marriages and Marriages Registred. During this part of the Interregnum (1653-1660) marriage was a civil matter, not a church sacrament, and might have been performed by a magistrate or Justice of the Peace.

Many civil registers from this period haven’t survived at all. Where they have, the format and wording may be different from what you would expect to find in a standard church record.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 23:18 BST (UK) »
Thankyou very much.  :) ;)