Author Topic: Sarah BAYLEY bc 1830 Madeley area bap look up  (Read 1902 times)

Offline jtpoutdoor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah BAYLEY bc 1830 Madeley area bap look up
« on: Wednesday 06 June 18 03:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,
After some really quick and much appreciated help on tracking down the mother of my ggf Richard Simmonds- I am now on the look out for his mother Sarah BAYLEY.

In 1864 she married Richard Simmonds (sen) giving father's name a William BAYLEY occupation labourer.
I can find a listing for William b1812- 1816, head, Mary wife and dau Sarah b c 1831 in Shrewsbury in 1841 but nothing for 1851.
Findmypast has listings for christening to Sarah A Bayley in 1831 Dawley Magna- but I suspect this is the daughter of Thomas who also appears in 1841 but there is also a listing for 1830 non conformist bap for a Sarah Bayley Dawley Magna.
Is anyone able to check these out for me?
I'm hoping William and Mary had other children to help me track them down but at the moment they just disappear into the ether in 1851.
Sarah was living with Richard Simmonds as his wife in 1861 and they had their first child in 1854 in Shrewsbury- they married in 1864! Details already supplied.

If Sarah was non conformist it might explian the late marriage
Thanks
Jane

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah BAYLEY bc 1830 Madeley area bap look up
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 04:31 BST (UK) »
You are right the Sarah bapt in Dawley Magna has father's name Thomas.

The Sarah Bailey bapt 1830 Dawley Green was born in Madley but had parents John and Susannah 

In 1851 there was a Sarah Bailey born 1831 Madley, Shropshire who was visiting a family in Aston, Warwickshire??

Kay

Offline jtpoutdoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 04:58 BST (UK) »
Hi kay,
Thanks for the quick reply- I found the Sarah visiting in Aston- but currently there's no way to link her.
Re bp- bother I had hopes for the 1830 non con. This lady is a bit of a mystery- I just confirmed to day she really is the one that I want(ooh ooh ooh :-)) so now she can be another brick in the wall (feeling very musical today obviously :-D)
William Bayley and Mary disappear after 1841. There are a few possible baptisms for William. Haven't checked for a marriage.
Hmm, next track see if maybe she wan;t born Bayley after all- although seems unlikely
Many thanks for the look
Jane

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 07:07 BST (UK) »
How many children did Richard and Sarah have - could you list them please - before and after their marriage ..??...are their children baptised in St Chad Shrewsbury - St Alkmund , Shrewsbury - or both ??
trying to see if there are TWO Richard and Sarah Simmonds having children in Shrewsbury - or are they all your couples children ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 07:14 BST (UK) »
Name     Thomas Bayley   
 Gender     Male   
 Christening Date     25 Mar 1824   
 Christening Date (Original)     25 MAR 1824   
 Christening Place     SHAWBURY,SHROPSHIRE,ENGLAND   
 Birth Date     13 Apr 1811   
 Father's Name    William Bayley     
 Mother's Name    Mary   
Name     Mary Bayley   
 Gender     Female   
 Christening Date     25 Mar 1824   
 Christening Date (Original)     25 MAR 1824   
 Christening Place     SHAWBURY,SHROPSHIRE,ENGLAND   
 Birth Date     17 Oct 1807   
 Father's Name    William Bayley
Mothers name Mary     

are these a possible - or do we rule them out ?...would be 29  and 33   by 1841 census ...how far is Shawbury from Madeley ?

......................................................................................
ADDED - Shawbury to Madeley 17 miles by road - looks about 13/14 as the crow flies
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 07:42 BST (UK) »
Probably unrelated to Sarah but just in case

Burial Madeley  14 March 1841 William Bailey of Madeley Wood - died of Typhus Fever

Kay

Offline jtpoutdoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 08:32 BST (UK) »
I've quoted from the original notes made by my great aunt when I first started my family tree as a history asignment at school (more years ago than I would like to think about) In BOLD are my own comments...and as bold isn;t showing up in th epost- bracketed comments are mine.

I think he was born in Coalbrookdale. (St Chads Shrewsbury)
Father. Richard Simmonds d.c.1919
His Sisters Aunts Jinny Fanny and Minnie Brother Uncle Jack a cripple I don’t remember how many children Aunt Jinny had (no evidence for the actual existance of aunt Jinny on Simmonds side, maybe maternal aunt?)
Aunt Fanny (b 1863 Shrewsbury) married a man named Wood (Charles William , Brentford 1882, see census below, bc 1856 par William and Eliza of Cheltenham, living in Shrewsbury 1861-1871, 81 unk)
She had three children Burt (Albert M or W. Woods aged 5 1891 b Chingford Essex, Birkenhead, Cheshire- reg not found only existant are Albert Moses b Brighton 1884 and Albert Murving b Gravesend 1886 several Albert W- including Albert Wilfred b Atcham), Wallie (Wallace Charles aged 19 1911 b Shrewsbury, Birkenhead, Cheshire, - reg ? Wallace Wood b

1893 Prescot (covers Liverpool area) , and Cissy (??
… and Cissy who married the Marchesa Della (Revas?)(no evidence found of this- the title does not appear to exist). They had two children Gordon and Graham. (actual given name Frances- married MURRAY)

and from my grandmother (who died when I was 11 so relying on some memory here) and my uncle also now deceased.

"Father’s father was lazy and didn’t go to work- he read the newspaper all day while his long suffering wife took in washing (quite shameful in those days) to bring money in. he was known as Gentleman Simmonds by the neighbours.
Father went to dame school on the Mount, he left when aged eight years old and started work- either on a farm leading horses or for a carter (two versions here), he walked three miles to work and was so tired that he would fall asleep on his feet while walking home. He subsequently taught himself to read and write."

So only the four known children- a bit unusual. Richard b SEP 1854 shrewsbury bp St Alkmunds, John b 1858 dec Shrewsbury, Fanny Jun 1863 Shrewsbury bp St Chads, Mary (Hannah probably) Mar 1867 Shrewsbury. And the mysterious and non existant "Jinny" of course :-).

There were several Richard's in Shrewsbury around then- it is quite difficult to untangle the buggers. Also in the surrounding areas.
My Richard is NOT the one who was transported to Aussie for horse stealing. But his father may have been the Richard who shows up as a voter in the Poll for 1835. I suspect that the other Simmonds in Shrewsbury are probably related - they had a few Riachards of their own in later years but I haven;t got round to chasing this up yet.

Richard the middle was b c 1824- I have previously located his bap on familysearch but I can't find it now- Richard the elder and Ann had Mary Ann 1818, Sarah 1836 , Thomas 1831,Ann 1827, John (1820-1827) and William 1822 spread between St Marys and St Chads and under variations of the spelling of the name Simmonds.

There is a marriage for Richard the elder to Ann Roberts which I have a copy of somewhere on the hard drive.

None of that is Bayleys of course :-D

Thomas Bayley could be a brother to William- there is a bap for a William to William and mary Bayley. The death in 1841 is interesting - but that is pre the census and there is the the William and Mary Bayley with daughter Sarah in the 1841 census which certainly looks hopeful- and it can;t be the same William.

I get the impression that Richard the middle may have been a bit of a sh1t. I certainly got the impression from Aunty Mim's notes that there wasn't a great deal of love lost between her father and grandfather. the story of him being "sold" off to work at a young age came down quite strongly and he didnt hang around at home. Richard the middle was also out of the family home by the age of 16 or 17, and then there's the business of the unmarried wife and Sarah being the bread winner.

The familysearch records are a bit patchy, FindMyPast looks better but will have to wait till I can get to a library

Cheers
Jane

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 June 18 18:36 BST (UK) »
On the 1871 census where was Sarah Simmonds, nee Bayley born?
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline jtpoutdoor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 June 18 20:04 BST (UK) »
Madeley, she was pretty consistent - likewise her age- one of the transcriptions (1861 I think ) on familysearch gives no result for her or for Richard but actually on the original they are quite clear.
But she doesn;t seem to match with the baptisms shown for Dawley Magna (madeley and Dawley are right next door I think I'm right in saying)- Coalbrookedale which is where her son Richard was supposed to have been born according to family even though tge records show hin as quite clearly born and baptised in Shrewsbury